Unstoppable -Juvi Gar causing issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on guys lay off. It's not your animal and you have no idea what kind of plans he has for his fish when it gets bigger. This is why I no longer post pictures of my tank and almost none of my fish because of the judging people on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

We're judging your tank and fish because we know it won't work out in that size tank and most sized ponds. I don't see how any one can plan for the size of an Alligator Gar. I don't care that it ain't my animal I'm concerned for its life and it's needs as it grows and grows and grows and grows and grows.
You wouldn't have to worry about getting judged if you got proper fish for your tank and if you did get proper fish people would applaud you and say it looks awesome. Why cause all this hate because of one fish when there's soooooo many other fish that would go nuts for a 75 gallon aquarium. People show off their tanks because they're proud of it, other people say nice tank and love your fish because they find the stocking of that tank nice and like the fish selections. You can't do that with this.
Maybe if you stocked the tank differently one day and put all the appropriate fish for that size tank you could post a picture and get literally 0 people saying omg dude that fish will turn into a puppy eating monster fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I will have to agree that housing him alone for now would be your best bet. The gar is clearly showing it's predatory nature, even on fish half his size. I don't think you will be safe with much of anything in there. In theory, you could get a fish even larger than him, but remember that he will keep growing, and you will quite likely just be setting yourself up for issues later. Also, since you have a gar with proportionately large teeth, you pose a greater risk of injury to any tankmate if the gar bites it, even a larger one.
I am not sure how you have planned this out since you said in your other post that you don't have a definite plan between a tank or a pond. Tanks will not likely cut it in the future considering the massive size. I assume you are working on a pond and will get a bigger tank if that pond doesn't happen? You should have a bit of time, but I also suggest not going this route with a fish known to reach over 10 feet long.
One more note, do you feed live food? I have read that getting the fish switched to prepared foods may help to reduce aggression to other tankmates, though even that only gets you so far.

Everybody stay on topic or the thread will be closed. It is fine to discuss the OP's situation and fish, but no personal attacks will be allowed.

Angel I do feed him live food once a week other than that he gets frozen blood worms 3 times a week. I've used that method of feeding with all the predators I've raised and sold.

And also this is what my tank looks like. I'm not afraid to show off my tank to anybody and I personally don't care what anybody has to say about my tank my water perimeters are spot on and my fish are healthy.....yes aggressive but they are all healthy. I've made my plans for my fish when they outgrow my tank if u want to believe me that's fine.

And as for the clown knife I have removed him from my tank and he is residing in another tank ATM

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited by a moderator:
One last thing... what happens when that thing hits 3' and you have to stick your arm in there?? Own chainmaille;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom