Unsure Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

just_doitman

Aquarium Advice Regular
So to cycle my tank which has been going on for about three weeks test water levels and they are prefect every time so now I'm starting to consider actual stocking the tank I started with 7 guppies have every single one and then last week added a sunset gourami (or something like that) I was considering returning him and putting a pair of dwarf blue gourami's 3-4 Cory cats and 5-6 tetras keep in mind it's a 30 gal bow front tank! Suggest away and I'll post updates as I do things

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

First, only 1 gourami can be kept per tank. They are super territorial towards each other so I wouldn't try to keep more than one in a tank.

Some suggestions for your stock:

6 cory cats - They need to be kept in fairly large groups
10 neon / cardinal tetras - The cardinals are more expensive, but also a bit hardier. Your choice.
1 Bristlenose pleco - Neat fish. Some people like them because they have a high bio load, but if you don't get lax with water changes it'll be fine.
1 pair German blue rams - These are a beautiful fish, although a bit on the fragile side so i'd add these last.

First, only 1 gourami can be kept per tank. They are super territorial towards each other so I wouldn't try to keep more than one in a tank.

Some suggestions for your stock:

6 cory cats - They need to be kept in fairly large groups
10 neon / cardinal tetras - The cardinals are more expensive, but also a bit hardier. Your choice.
1 Bristlenose pleco - Neat fish. Some people like them because they have a high bio load, but if you don't get lax with water changes it'll be fine.
1 pair German blue rams - These are a beautiful fish, although a bit on the fragile side so i'd add these last.

Not all Gouramis are territorial. Peals can be kept in groups and I have always loved my group of 5 that I kept in my 75g tank. Not saying that pearls would be the best for this tank but saying only one Gourami can be kept per tank isnt true.

Not all Gouramis are territorial. Peals can be kept in groups and I have always loved my group of 5 that I kept in my 75g tank. Not saying that pearls would be the best for this tank but saying only one Gourami can be kept per tank isnt true.

Okay, so let me rephrase. Almost all gouramis will kill each other if more than one are kept in a tank together including both the species you have and the ones you are interested in.

Gourami fights are ugly.
One of the more peaceful small Gouramis are Honey Gouramis. They are lovely fish with good diet and safe tank mates. They are a seperate species than the DGs. Overlooked for Dwarf Gouramis which are flashier at first. DGs are prone to DG disease. They are often highly stressed from overcrowding. And as I said on your other thread...none of the colorful ones you see are female DG
I've only seen one. She was a special order.

If you decide to put in more than one Gourami, make sure you have lots of plants. Floating plants as well. Even a mated pair may fight and need sight breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 3 corys and they hold up fine yes it's better to have them in a bigger group but yeah just my 2 cents

In a 30g I would definitely do a larger group of both the cories and tetras.

So this is what I did
One blue dwarf gourami
6 seprae tetras
3 Cory cats
And of course my original 7 guppies

So to cycle my tank which has been going on for about three weeks test water levels and they are prefect every time so now I'm starting to consider actual stocking the tank I started with 7 guppies have every single one and then last week added a sunset gourami (or something like that) I was considering returning him and putting a pair of dwarf blue gourami's 3-4 Cory cats and 5-6 tetras keep in mind it's a 30 gal bow front tank! Suggest away and I'll post updates as I do things

I'm trying to understand... You cycled the tank in three weeks or are you starting the cycle with fish?

Cycled in three weeks I had substrate and filter media from tanks

In a 20gallon high I have 1 dwarf sunset gourami, 3 sail fun mollies, 3 peppered corys and a little super red bristle nose pleco

Cool man update I returned seprae tetras and got glow light tetras

And my pleco decided it was a good idea to crawl into my filter.... Yeah...

Aww dang is he doing okay? How'd he get up there?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447639576.215710.jpg
How the tank looks with the flow lights in there

What filter do you have

Back
Top Bottom