Unusual pleco, any ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragonchild85

Aquarium Advice Regular
Sorry I don't have a picture....it was at the LFS, and the salesperson said that it was a common pleco...but it doesn't look like the typical Trinidad. It's white, and has black leopard spots...he's about 2 inches long. He's really quite stunning, but I have no clue what kind he is. I have a hard time believing that it's a Trinidad.

Also, they had a Royal Pleco...any idea what those are?

There are lots of white spotted plecos. I have a L-174 that is white with spots. Check out planetcatfish.com. Do a search for L-174 and see if that's your pleco. Also, then do a search for royals or L-190. They are nice looking plecos but get rather large. A foot long or better. There are some nice pics of them to. HTH

Royal are breathtaking, but I have one and its rare that I get to see him, they are very secretive. But when he is out he is a sight to see!

Royals are a handful--they get about a foot long. Nice patterning, but a strange shape.

I agree that you probably saw a L-174, which is often referred to as a Peruvian Panther. If the pics on Planet Catfish agree with your guy, get him while you can. They're quite hard to find, and very pretty. My girlfriend just got a miniscule one for $35.

Another possibility, if the background was more gray, is an L-264, or another Leporocanthicus sp. These are quite nice fish, also, and almost as hard to find.

Jon

Fluff said:
There are lots of white spotted plecos. I have a L-174 that is white with spots. Check out planetcatfish.com. Do a search for L-174 and see if that's your pleco. Also, then do a search for royals or L-190. They are nice looking plecos but get rather large. A foot long or better. There are some nice pics of them to. HTH

*bounces happily* That's it! That's it!!! A couple of quick questions though...

1) The feeding profile says: Mainly carnivorus, live or frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, gammarus Commercial prepared food eaten as well, such as tablets and pellets. Does this mean that it's not a pleco? Aren't pleco's herbivores?
2) The compatibility says: Shy. Territorial towards conspecific and other Loricariidae. If kept with other Loricariidae, they should be about the same range in size and behavior. Do I have to worry about it causing fights? I have a 12" Trinidad named Godzilla...does he fit in the conspecific and other Loricariidae thing? If so, what can I do to prevent fights? I'd really like to have him now that I know he won't get 9+ inches!!

No, not all plecos are herbivores. I feed mine shrimp pellets and he eats what flakes hit the bottom. I'm had it for a year in June and he's thriving on that.
I don't know about the aggressivness. I have it in a tank with two other plecos of a different species (L-134) and they all get along great. Probably depends on the pleco though. Yeah, go get him!

Yeah, some plecos are downright, diehard carnivores. Hypancistrus zebra comes to mind. Conscientious keepers and breeders routinely feed these guys beef heart and other delectables. Though, they are also quite partial to peeled peas...

Okay, I called the petstore and they said they can hold him for 24 hours. (I can't drive to get him today...:sad: ) Do they prefer hiding spots or out in the open? Will he cause any problems with my tank denizens? I'm actually going to quarentine him (normally I don't), so I have to get a filter for my 5 gallon, and while I'm at it, I figure I'll get the right kinda decorations for him.

Take a look at the Gold Nugget.....good-looking! I have one and for the first 2 weeks almost never saw him (very shy) but now he is coming out more and more...just have to stay back from the tank and not make any quick moves!

They are pretty shy. Mine hangs out in the hollow of a rock, until food is put in the tank. Again,mine is extremely calm and non aggressive but, not every fish is the same. I would get him a cave and a piece of driftwood to give him some security. Good luck. It really is a pretty fish.

Okay, I have a 'stump' decoration in my 5 gal that's hollow, should that work? And I figure he'll like the same hidey-hole as Godzilla...a hollow sunken ship.

Sure, I'm sure he'll take to the stump. I'd still add a small piece of driftwood for him as well. Good luck and post some pics if you can. :D

I got him yesterday...my digital camera sucks, but he doesn't move much, so I hope I can maybe get a decent shot. I dropped an algea wafer in, he hasn't touched it at all, but clings to the glass. Hasn't gone near the stump either. This morning I found him against the filter intake valve, and the tank temp at 80 degrees. Was he trying to cool off? I did drop the temp back a little...I don't wanna shock the tank. I can't believe I actually got him for that price!!

Give him some shrimp pellets or something simular. Mine loves them but also comes out when I feed the tank for a bit of flake food.

Back
Top Bottom