unusual schoolmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smilla4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Out of curiousity I was wondering what peoples experiences are with seeing fish you wouldn't think would school together, schooling together. If that makes any sense...

For example:
tiger barbs and clown loaches
Rasboras and otocinclus (saw this discussed on usenet)

I thought it would be kinda neat to have a list handy in case someone wanted to put a community together of compatibly odd schoolers.

I had a male paradise fish that used to leapfrog around and play with my 5 panda corys. He was three times their size! They accepted him and everyone got along fine.

My Siamese Algae Eaters (Crossocheilus siamensis) school fairly often with my Redtailed Rasboras (Rasbora borapetensis). I guess it is the similarity in shape, size (for now) and the fact that they both have horizontal black stripes.

My small ill fated gourami schooled with the larger giant marble plakat that she shared the tank. She would be so close to Alvilda, feeling it up with those whiskers, that it'd tail swat her for personal space. Otherwise it tolerated having a shadow. When the betta would flare at her sister on the other side of the divider, Kagerouko would come behind her to the same spot and do a gourami "flare" (fast forward movement with fully extended fin rays) at the other betta and tap the divider sharply. Heh! Guess she just wanted to fit in. Being with tolerant company had made her start healing and carry herself more prettily. To bad the balsting kept startling her and making her jump. Too bad I didn't cover the tank better.
poor Rouko

Back
Top Bottom