Unusual tiger barb behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tiger barbs are hanging out at the bottom today. Don't know why, other fish seem fine. Ph is up a bit from last water change on Monday, it was holding steady at 7. I've fed blanched romaine lettuce twice this week, have never fed that before.

Normally they're very active near the middle, never seen the whole school huddle like this before.

Ph 7.4
Ammo 0
Temp 78
Last water change: 50% on Monday

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1393644169595.jpg
    1393644169595.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 60
I don't know what, but something is not right for sure. That is not tiger barb behavior. Have you moved a light or tv in the room? Sometimes new lights from different directions will make them act that way.

Haven't checked nitrites and nitrates. Nitrates run 15-30. We did move a bunch of furniture into the room and there was a lot of commotion. I turned off all the lights in the room so they wouldn't see it afterward.

My 6 hexazona barbs did the sane thing when I rescaped the tank, In thinking it may have something to do with changing their world up a bit.. Are they breathing erratically or color washed?

They were color washed last night, this morning their stripes are bolder, but the color in their fins is still a little dull on some of them.they seem a little more lively this morning, but still huddling.

They were color washed last night, this morning their stripes are bolder, but the color in their fins is still a little dull on some of them.they seem a little more lively this morning, but still huddling. Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
mine are just starting to get back to normal and it's been a week!

When I turn the lights off they go back to more normal behavior.

mine are just starting to get back to normal and it's been a week!

Well they're in for a ride, I'm moving the whole tank into the next room today or tomorrow.

Edit: moving right now. My fiancee wants her dining room back because we have a table for it now. Lol.

Well they're in for a ride, I'm moving the whole tank into the next room today or tomorrow. Edit: moving right now. My fiancee wants her dining room back because we have a table for it now. Lol. Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
haha they'll prob be a bit stressed for a couple days, I'd suggest leaving the lights off for the day to let them settle, than a feast tomorrow!

Well when you do a rescape it moves around all the gunk and will increase poor water quality. I might keep the light off and do a couple 25% pwc, just try and make sure your water is temp tested as close as possible. Are you using Prime water conditioner. That stuff is great. If you could test Nitrites (Nitrates) that would be good, lfs could do it(if you don't have the test), get the actual numbers from them to report. It might get worst.

Yes fish will stress, leave the light off as much as possible to keep the fish more calm. If you don't have a background or dark background, maybe taping some paper or plastic on the back and sides to give them a dark, (cover/protection) better sense of security.

Last edited:
I don't use dechlorinator because I'm on a well. occasionally I'll add stress coat if I don't get the PH matched perfect on water changes. It has dechlorinator in it, but is not necessary. I have to aerate my water for 24 hour before I can use it in the aquarium due to low ph out the tap. Presumably dissolved CO2.

Back
Top Bottom