up grading from a 10 to a 20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexthecichlid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I've been in the hobby a while but never really understood how to properly upgrade a tank without losses. I have beautiful juliodochomis and I don't want to lose them as well as some shell dwellers. I have 3 filters on the 10 gallons and they filter a lot as they are for 30-50 gallons one is for 20 gallons the other 20 gallons as well. in the 20 gallons, I have added 2 more filters Fluval internal the biggest one and the medium one. I got them years ago can't remember for what size tanks.

Do the filter bioload decrease ammonia based on 10 gallons or by the amount of fish in the tank?

ie if I upgrade to a 20 from a 10 with the same fish in it and add all the sand and some new sand same roks etc it shouldn't have any new tank syndrome or fish loss right?

Can someone help me with these questions?

basically is the amount of ammonia the same in the 10 as in the 20? If so there shouldn't be any spikes, right?

You’ll lose a little bacteria from substrate / walls but as long as you move filters and media it should bounce back. You are cycled based on bioload size; not tank size. Just test frequently during transitions.

Wait... you’re running 5 different filters on a 10 gallon?

3 on 10, 5 will be on 20 gallons all my tanks I over filter. MY 46 gal has 1 canister 2 hob, 5 gal 2 filters and 75 gallons has 6 including a canister xl

Wow. I mean I overfilter too but I overfilter by using an aqua clear 70 on a 29g. Doesn’t all the water movement from so many different sources cause difficulty for your long finned angel? It’s up to you obviously but I think that might be a little much. Once you have the space and water flow for the bacteria you need for the bioload you have, any extra filtration is just about water movement; which is something that your long finned angel might not appreciate so much.

Anyway to your original question; the bacteria needed for your tank will be split between all your filtration and your substrate. So moving all your filtration over to the bigger tank will move the majority of your beneficial bacteria. Test to be sure but mini cycling should not be too much of a problem.

I just upgraded my 10 to a 20 gal. I bought a refrigerated "seed" to help start the cycle. I was told to put some fish in the tank. The longer the seed without fish the less little good bugs will be in the tank. makes sense. So I put my fish back in the tank after a day with the old filter. The tank was cycled no fish loss.I also have plants and Eco substrate.

Back
Top Bottom