Update on my Fish Stock/Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plantedtankman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am very pleased with my recent fish additions. I got 2 Rams and 3 Bentos Tetras. Here is my current stock: 7 Bentos Tetras, 2 Rams, 5 Cory Catfish, and 2 Panda Garra.

I would like to add: 2 Amano Shrimp, 2 more Rams, 6 Marbled Hatchetfish, 6-7 Rummynose or Cardinal Tetras, and maybe a Hillstream Loach.

So this would be my stock:

7 Bentos Tetras
4 Rams
5 Cory Catfish
2 Panda Garra
6 Marbled Hatchetfish
6-7 Rummynose or Cardinal Tetras
2 Amano Shrimp
Maybe a Hillstream Loach if I have room. (I've heard they need low temps. so I might not get one)

My tank is a 30 gallon with a ton of plants and fake driftwood/rocks. My Java Ferns just reproduced and I'm letting them float until they grow to a good size.

Any opinions?

I would leave the Marbled Hatchetfish out and up the numbers of tetras. Also adding more shrimps is fine.

I would take out the buenos airas tetras especially if you want shrimp. Buenos are evil evil fish. The 1 dollar pirahna. They will (not might mind you will) kill your shrimp and possibly your other fish.

I would take out the buenos airas tetras especially if you want shrimp. Buenos are evil evil fish. The 1 dollar pirahna. They will (not might mind you will) kill your shrimp and possibly your other fish.

I don't have those fish haha

I am very pleased with my recent fish additions. I got 2 Rams and 3 Bentos Tetras. Here is my current stock: 7 Bentos Tetras, 2 Rams, 5 Cory Catfish, and 2 Panda Garra.

I would like to add: 2 Amano Shrimp, 2 more Rams, 6 Marbled Hatchetfish, 6-7 Rummynose or Cardinal Tetras, and maybe a Hillstream Loach.

7 Bentos Tetras
4 Rams
5 Cory Catfish
2 Panda Garra
6 Marbled Hatchetfish
2 Amano Shrimp
Maybe a Hillstream Loach if I have room. (I've heard they need low temps. so I might not get one)

My tank is a 30 gallon with a ton of plants and fake driftwood/rocks. My Java Ferns just reproduced and I'm letting them float until they grow to a good size.

Any opinions?

I'm sorry but that looks like too much for a 30g. I would remove the hillstream loach, 2 rams and probably the panda garra. I don't have much experience with the panda garras though.

I'm sorry but that looks like too much for a 30g. I would remove the hillstream loach, 2 rams and probably the panda garra. I don't have much experience with the panda garras though.

I probably won't add the Hillstream Loach because of their low temperature requirements. I already have the Panda Garra and they don't get very big.

7 Bentos Tetras
4 Rams
5 Cory Catfish
2 Panda Garra
6 Marbled Hatchetfish
2 Amano Shrimp

Any opinions?

I dont know what those first tetras are so I cant comment on those. Other than that I would say fill all of your schools to at least 6. Maybe even bump the panda garras to 6.

Bentos tetras get around 2 inches. They're a smaller version of the Bleeding Heart Tetra, except they look similar to the Rosy Tetra.

Bentos tetras get around 2 inches. They're a smaller version of the Bleeding Heart Tetra, except they look similar to the Rosy Tetra.

Then they have almost no bioload. Look at it this way. You have 30 points for your tank. Add 5 for plants. 35 points to use. Most tetras under 3 inches would be like half a point. Cories 2-3 inches are say a point each. Rams same thing 1 point each. Shrimp no points. Garras 1-2 points. Does that help? Kinda like an improved inch per gallon rule.

Then they have almost no bioload. Look at it this way. You have 30 points for your tank. Add 5 for plants. 35 points to use. Most tetras under 3 inches would be like half a point. Cories 2-3 inches are say a point each. Rams same thing 1 point each. Shrimp no points. Garras 1-2 points. Does that help? Kinda like an improved inch per gallon rule.

Yeah that helps! Thanks! I'm going to research the fish I'm planning on getting a little bit more and I'll post about my stock again tomorrow.

Having 3 schools in a 30g tank doesn't look great. Trust me, been there done that.

But you have to look at it this way... the Marbled Hatchets will occupy the top levels of the tank. The other two tetra groups will occupy the middle and lower levels of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom