Update on My Tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shimano

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In the spring I joined the forums after I had bought my 55 Gallon. In the spring I joined the forums after I had bought my 55 Gallon. I have had my tank for around 8 months now. I have a pleco who is about full grown I believe, I think he is about 10-12 inches. I have two angels, one gourami, two red tail sharks, 3 tiger barbs, 1 gold barb, 2 unknown barbs(the look like the tigers but they are pink and white), 3 white mollies, 2 zebra dainos, 3 swordtails (1 male two female). I think I still have some snails because I see them once in a long while. I think the barbs eat them. I have had some ups and downs with the tank. But it has been a fun learning process. As of late I seem to be losing fish on the day I don’t feed them. I am not sure what they deal is, but when my wife goes to feed them at night on Wednesday’s one of them is dead and looks like it has been eaten. It doesn’t happen every week but it only seems to happen on that day. Am I not feeding them enough during the week? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

you have a lot of fish even for a 55 Gallon. Also just a heads up, the red tail sharks will become aggressive with each other. usually only 1 is recommended for a tank this size. Also you may come into some issues with the two angels.

Which fish are u seeing dead?

Also give some more details on your tank.

How often do you do water changes?

What is the temp & pH?

What about water parameters? Nitrates, nitrites, ammonia?

74 Degrees
Ph varies a bit between 7.0-7.3
nitrates 30ppm
ammonia and nitrite are at zero or just a hair above.
I feed them twice a day just enough that they can eat in 3-5 minutes.
I do a partial water change once a week.

Turn the temp up to 78, I would cut back on the feedings to either once a day or less each time. How much water do you change a week? With that stocking I would do at least 50%.

OK I will raise the temp. I do about a 50% each week. All of my fish seem happy in there tank.

The fish may seem happy, but you shouldn't be losing them. :) I would feed only once per day, as much as they'll eat in about 3 minutes. They won't starve....and they won't eat each other. You can drop in pellets or wafers at night for the bottom feeders.

Which fish have you lost? Maybe there is a pattern.......and how long did you have the fish that you lost?

Your water change schedule looks good.....hopefully with 50% weekly changes your ammonia and nitrites will be 0.

They fish I have lost have been all different ones, and I have had them 2-3 months if my memory serves me well.

Back
Top Bottom