Update/Questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KonvictKeeper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I just got back from That Fish Place.
I got some more fish for the 20g. I got 5 tetras they called "HY511's" and were a hybrid... Hyphessobrycon sp. "HY511" | Tetras | Freshwater Fish | Aquarium Livestock - ThatPetPlace.com I had never seen them before and liked them. I also purchased 3 albino corys.

Well here's the question part. I was telling one of the guys there that I have been cycling my tank and it was just about done, so I'd probably be back next weekend. He said "How long has it been running?". I said "Two weeks". HE told me "Do NOT put fish in for another 4-5 weeks!". I then told him I have been dosing ammo and and I have nitrAtes. Then he said "Dosing ammo is a BAD thing". Do not do it. There are better ways to cycle a tank. He gave me some special blend and told me to stop doing ammo. I told him "Well I've heard this stuff is a waste of money." He said "Some brands are, but this stuff WORKS." I kinda feel like you do have to have a good bit of experience to work there, but then again, I definitely trust you guys more. What do you think about all the things he said?

That's what I used to cycle my tank and it worked, the ammo being bad was bad advice. However I trust them, since they're always asking me about cycling, what size tank I'm putting new fish, they actually encourage quarantining, etc

Yeah, the product may well work, just no need for it unless you simply can't stand the wait for fishless cycle. But you tested and think your ready to go so, it is pointless.

Ammonia is ammonia is ammonia. Regardless of the source, be it bottle or fish or rotting organic matter.

Yeah they seem to know what they're doing. He said he's worried about the trace elements in the ammo that could be bad for my tank. He even said something that scared the crap out of me... "You might end up having to RECYCLE your tank...".

Bottled ammonia is Ammonium Hydroxide and water. Nothing more unless you buy the wrong stuff as is often discussed here, and yes THAT could be an issue. But its not. Because you used the right stuff.

What would be the wrong stuff? I use the ace janitorial stuff. I was going to use Dollar General brand but didn't... Would it have been bad if I did.

Maybe. Some of them have have surfactants, dyes, soaps, or perfumes. Those are things you don't want in the tank. The very best case is if it lists ingredients on the bottle. It should say Ammonium Hydroxide and nothing else.

Back
Top Bottom