updown spiders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tifta

Aquarium Advice Freak
i got these wierd looking clear looking spiders that look like they are upside down hanging off of plants. i can't take a good picture.
Are they harmful? What the heck are they? they just hang there.

I haven't a clue but Yuck yuck ewwww. I'm sure someone much more helpful than I will speak up. I will just commiserate with you for now.

Possibly hydroids? Just a guess since I've only ever seen a few fw hydroids, that's what it sounds like.

it's not in my shrimp tank in my planted tank. I am too scared to put my hands in there. are they harmful? My skin is crawling

I just spent some time googling it with no success. Keep trying to get a pic. In the meantime I will post for the mentors to see if anyone is familiar with this.

Here is a pic of one I had in my tank. I don't remember them being a problem while they were there but being paranoid finally caused me to just toss the plant they were on.

Attachments

• 040606 044.jpg
    040606 044.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 80
If the picture that Fluff posted is the same as what you have, then it's a Hydra. Not a danger to larger fish, but if you have fry or shrimp it would be good to remove. I recently tried a medication that worked quite well to eliminate them in my Shrimp Aquarium, and it didn't bother the shrimp at all. I followed the directions in this article.

Yep...hydra....that is what I posted about a few weeks ago Amy! Right when I read your heading I was thinking....Hydra....those nasty little buggers. I still have them in my shrimp tank, but am planning on redoing that tank soon with sand and will get rid of them! Not because of the sand, but because I am going to clean the tank as well. My 11 year old daughter spotted a small hydra on a plant in my 29g yesterday, but I don't have any small fish or shrimp in that tank so I don't worry as much. When I see them in my shrimp tank, I usually scrape them from the sides or reach in and pinch the ***** out of them to smush them!

OMG those are the aliens invading my tank!!! I am going to try to eliminate them thanks all!! I am too scared to even put my hand in the tank, they are so nasty looking

When I see them in my shrimp tank, I usually scrape them from the sides or reach in and pinch the ***** out of them to smush them!

lol This made me laugh. I'm sure this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone smushing hydra. And this has been working then? If so, I'll have to keep this in mind should I ever have a reaccurance. ;)

To a degree it works. In the near future I think I am going to completely rebuild my red cherry shrimp tank with a sand substrate. When I do that hopefully I will get rid of the hydra as well, not because they are in the substrate, but because I am going to completely clean out the tank and start fresh in hopes of getting rid of them. there is also a thread on here regarding the use of Safe Guard dog dewormer in VERY small quantities to kill them and it doesn't hurt the shrimp. Haven't tried that though.

Back
Top Bottom