Upgrade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duck645

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right now I have two 10 gallon tanks. 10 gallons are easy to care for and a joy to have but the stocking options are so limited. Would it be better to upgrade to a 20-30 gallon tank and sell the two I have?

Why not get a 20 or 30 and keep the 2 tens? Either way it is really up to you and your personal preference. 10 gallons have lots of interesting stocking options but a bigger tank does have more. I like having more than one tank though.

Why not get a 20 or 30 and keep the 2 tens? Either way it is really up to you and your personal preference. 10 gallons have lots of interesting stocking options but a bigger tank does have more. I like having more than one tank though.

:agree:

You get the option of trying different tank styles when you have more tanks. It's fun to set up one with actinic lights, another as a natural planted tank, and another as a rock cave/shell type tank, etc to spice things up and make them stand out from each other. More tanks also means you have more options if you find out some fish aren't getting along with each other.

Thanks for the input! The only problem is I have a limited budget and limited space. Maybe i could keep one 10 gallon and upgrade the other one. Bigger tank can be the fish from my two 10 gallons and the 10 gallon can be made a dwarf puffer tank or some other interesting fish

Yeah upgrade I think the bigger the tank the more fun. I have a 45 g tank its the perfect size! Ill post a pic if you want. But a 30 or 20 gallon with a school of neon tetras would look pretty cool

What kind of fish do you have in your 45g? I'm wondering if larger tank=larger fish or if larger tank=more small fish. Can you post a pic?

You can go either way with a larger tank. Some like larger fish in their bigger tanks, some like more small fish. Depends on which style you like!

This is my 45 gallon tank. I have a rainbow shark, bristle nose pleco, an eclipse catfish, and breeding guppies for food. But right now my fish are very small so you cant really see them.

ForumRunner_20120531_150219.jpg

All you can see is my guppies and if you look closely you can see my pleco on the rock.

Thanks for the pic! I'm going to start looking at larger tanks and more importantly getting the permission and money to get one.

Lol I feel you! Im only 15... : / And if you have the money and space a 75 gallon tank is really nice.

The thing with a bigger fish tank also is as far as bigger tank = bigger fish if you have fish that you know will get big but if you put in a bunch of smaller schooling fish then they will tend to stay on the smaller size. 55 gallon tank is about the nest cheapest option to go for. Unless you have some serious cash to drop on anything bigger then 55 gallons. My 55 gallon I have already sunk a 1000 in to it just for the stand top lights gravel filter heater and decorations lol.

My parents would never let me go above 30-40. I'm still trying to convince them to let me go 20-30 lol plus i can probably put only 300ish dollars into this, maybe more because i'm selling my ipod and probably one of the 10s if i upgrade

Ok if u get permission go for a 30 gallon! What kind of fish are you looking at?

I am most likely going to add all my tropical fish to it and increase the school sizes. Then, I'll probably make the 10 gallon a dwarf puffer tank preferably with 2 females

Back
Top Bottom