Upgrade 29 to 55 gallon? Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ExperimentLain

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay I am having a very hard time deciding weather or not if I should get a larger aquarium.

I have a 29 gallon in a spare room, it's planted, it is sadly mostly forgotten in that room except for the water changes :/

I am looking at upgrading to a 55... I have all the stuff except the stand and the tank. I am about to bite it and just go do this. But! I am not sure... mostly wondering the height after the stand. I am thinking most stands are about 30" tall... so with the tank thats at LEAST 51"... well at that alone I am going to need a stool XD I am only 66" give or take?

The ledge I am planning on putting it against is 47"...

So... that's where I am at. I don't know pro's and con's between a 29 gallon and a 55 gallon. 29 is the largest I have ever had and am not sure if it's worth upgrading to 26 more gallons? it's very nearly 2 tanks.

Thoughts?

If you can, do it! A 55 is an awesome size, lots of fish options open up and lots more room for other fish. My wife is short and she doesn't have trouble getting around in our two 55's for the most part.

I'm 66" and I wish my tank was on a much taller stand. The one It's on now lets me easily stick my arm all the way down, but to actually watch my fish, I have to sit on the floor. Even my 7-year-old has to bend over just to watch them eat.

I am still in the process of upgrading from a 10g to the 55, but it's had fish in since early dec. and I much prefer it to the little one (which is now my QT).

+1 to sini's do it! ;)

I went from a 29 to a55 g- well actually added the 55, anyway I love my 55 gallon tank. There is so much more you can do, different fish you can have and decorating is fun P, plants, caves driftwood, etc. my tank is 51 inches tall with stand. I am 5' 5" and do have a 10 inch platform I stand on when cleaning it to be able to reach the bottom. It is of course more pricey too and does take more time to do ythe weekly water changes and cleaning. It is my most stable tank. Some mornings I sit in front of it after fish are fed and just watch while I drink my coffee. A commitment, but so worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

55g is cool but the depth is kind of limiting. A 75g or 40breeder is what i would suggest. Im not a 55g hater. I have one. Its cool

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

I have a 40 but my sweet little bearded dragon is in it. I may put that up instead sometime. Do they make hoods for those? I could only ever find a screen hood for it! :/

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not even 5ft tall and I used to get a chair to reach the bottom of my 75g, but that was only to do landscaping, with the vacuum I can reach. A step stool is a fine concession to having almost twice the tank, so much more you can do with it. I have a 30 right now and can't wait to set the big tank back up ASAP

Oh yes yes

The bigger the tank the more fish you have. I mentioned the 40breeder only because of its depth that i find very appealing. Id definitely go with the 75gallon lol

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

Going back to your original post, I would actually ask if the new tank will go in the same place as the old tank? Or if it will go else where in the house?
It sounds like you are not getting much satisfaction out of the tank. I would think about why before getting a bigger tank. Bigger does open up a lot more options on fish, but just make sure you actually want to have fish before making the investment.

Other than that, I would say bigger is more fun. We always had small tanks in the past (20gal, 10 gal) and struggled to enjoy them. We recently started back up, but with a 65 gal this time and love it. Ours sits in a prominent part of the living room so we can always enjoy it.

Following.
Hey, short people adapt as I always say. I'm 5' 2 " and my 55g column style tank stands about 4'8" tall. My tank alone is 30" deep and I just bought a tall step stool. Watch out us short people will take over the world! Lol!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay I am having a very hard time deciding weather or not if I should get a larger aquarium.

I have a 29 gallon in a spare room, it's planted, it is sadly mostly forgotten in that room except for the water changes :/

I am looking at upgrading to a 55... I have all the stuff except the stand and the tank. I am about to bite it and just go do this. But! I am not sure... mostly wondering the height after the stand. I am thinking most stands are about 30" tall... so with the tank thats at LEAST 51"... well at that alone I am going to need a stool XD I am only 66" give or take?

The ledge I am planning on putting it against is 47"...

So... that's where I am at. I don't know pro's and con's between a 29 gallon and a 55 gallon. 29 is the largest I have ever had and am not sure if it's worth upgrading to 26 more gallons? it's very nearly 2 tanks.

Thoughts?

I had reservations about getting a larger tank. It's actually easier to take care of! I'm 5'1, my 40b was on a 36" stand. Sure, I need to grab a chair to do much anything except feeding but not having to monitor the tank as closely is worth it. Plus! You can fit bigger things in it! Yay!

Well I sat back and thought about keeping the tank. I love it. Simple as that. I get so much satisfction out of my aquarium all year.

That being said. I like small fish, schools of guppiess, rasboras, danios and tetras. So! I am just going to move my 29 and set up my 20L on the stand under the 29. It is going in the same spot as I planned the 55g. I don't mind the extra work at all of a larger tank. Aquariums are worth it. However, I decided that if I am investing in a larger tank, I will wait until I have the funds for something larger. Maybe a 60g bow front *swoons* and put it in a corner somewhere.

I will go from 29 to 49g and that's enough for me for now. I can take care of my over stocking, and get much more enjoyment out of it in the room I am putting it in. I origionally put it in my 'craft' room... but my dinning room turned into my craft room lol! I have my bearded in there too so I think it's better?

I wont even have to buy more fish! :D Not for now anyway. Now! I can't wait to move it tomorrow! Thanks for all the advice and the help! I sure appreciate it! So will the cats! They will have it out where they can watch it again :3

:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom