Upgrade to a 20gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexjdavis19

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been thinking about upgrading my 5.5 gallon tank to a 20 gallon tank. This is probably 6 months from now, but it's fun to think about.

What would you do with this tank? I currently have 5 neon tetras and 3 ghost shrimp. I am a beginner as well, so nothing too difficult would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would add more ghost shrimp so you have at least 10. You could do a betta or gourami and add more neons if you'd like maybe a rainbow instead of betta or gourami but I've never kept one and don't know their tank needs. I keep a betta a gourami and a couple neons as well as Cory cats in my 20 and they all seem to get along. You could also do some easy plants like Amazon swords and hornwort and some caves for protection

Keep calm and drum on

So I could add maybe 5 more neon tetras, 8 more shrimp, and maybe a betta?

There's a lot you could do with it. A Betta may be risky depending on his attitude but in a 20g you shouldn't have many issues

Keep calm and drum on

Definitely tons I could do with it, but I think a betta and some schooling fish (the tetras) would be right up as my #1. With plenty of places to hide, I think the betta would be fine, right?

Anyone else? Really anything you can think of that's decently easy.

If you want a safe bet with a betta get a female. They will tolerate most other fish. With males you don't know how well mannered they will be towards other fish

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom