Upgrading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Penguin

Aquarium Advice Freak
So as the title says my girlfriend and I are very interested in upgrading our tank this summer so we can have more time to work on it and set it up the way we like it before we put any fish in so we don't have to move the rocks, plants, and decorations once the fish are in. So we want to hear your advice to see what in your opinion would be easier to maintain because as of now we are looking at a 30, 40, or 45 gallon tank. Is it true the larger the tank the easier it is to maintain? Because if so we would do a 45 long dwarf cichlid tank with a bristlenose pleco or some other bottom feeder. Please give your honest opinions about which tank to get because we don't want to get the wrong tank, and what is a good brand for a tank that you guys would recommend?:thanks:

I've only owned my 75 gallon, so I couldn't say for sure. However, my 75 isn't very hard to maintain.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would happily say that yes, bigger tanks are easier to maintain once properly cycled and set up.

That being said, go for the biggest tank which your budget will allow, and plan for the extra expenses. Don't forget that a 45g tank requires a hefty stand that can support that weight, lights, filtration, substrate, decor, and of course, fish!

I have been lucky in that any brand tank I purchased was well constructed. Some folks love the ultra high visibility glass (something to do with iron content) but I'm happy looking in thrift stores and Craigslist for tanks of a bigger size. As long as it doesn't leak, I can work it!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?
http://floridaorchidendlers.com

I would happily say that yes, bigger tanks are easier to maintain once properly cycled and set up.

That being said, go for the biggest tank which your budget will allow, and plan for the extra expenses. Don't forget that a 45g tank requires a hefty stand that can support that weight, lights, filtration, substrate, decor, and of course, fish!

I have been lucky in that any brand tank I purchased was well constructed. Some folks love the ultra high visibility glass (something to do with iron content) but I'm happy looking in thrift stores and Craigslist for tanks of a bigger size. As long as it doesn't leak, I can work it!

? Diana Lee ?
Florida Orchid Endler's | Documented Class N Orchid Endler's Livebearer Fish

Do you think a kitchen table we don't use can hold up a 45 gallon tank? It is away from any window.

Depending on how hands on you can afford to be, there are plenty of tutorials on how to build a stand for that size. Or, you can buy one premade. I have seen tanks that size come with stands. I don't know about the pricing, sorry. Also, you could visit some thrift stores and find a really old, well constructed lowboy dresser. It can probably handle that weight.

? Diana Lee ?

Depending on how hands on you can afford to be, there are plenty of tutorials on how to build a stand for that size. Or, you can buy one premade. I have seen tanks that size come with stands. I don't know about the pricing, sorry. Also, you could visit some thrift stores and find a really old, well constructed lowboy dresser. It can probably handle that weight.

? Diana Lee ?

Thank you!:thanks::)

I didn't mean to scare you about the weight thing. I had a friend who invested in a 150g tank and once it was filled, her coffee table (and tank) shattered...

Crappy coffee table from Target? Yes. Ounce of prevention? Priceless.

? Diana Lee ?

I didn't mean to scare you about the weight thing. I had a friend who invested in a 150g tank and once it was filled, her coffee table (and tank) shattered...

Crappy coffee table from Target? Yes. Ounce of prevention? Priceless.

? Diana Lee ?

its alright you didn't scare me i understand you're trying to help me not make the same mistake as your friend did

I have a 45 gallon I bought as a quarantine tank from PetSmart and it came with the stand.

I'd go for a 33 long over the 45 gallon though. You gain footprint with the 33L. It depends what kind of fish you're going for, but most will prefer a longer and wider tank than they will a taller one.

As far as bigger tanks being easier to maintain...kind of. You have more water to dilute toxins, but whether it's my 150 or 10 gallon, they both get weekly 50% water changes. The 150 just takes more water.

Yeah... That would stink! But as far as the stocking goes, what do you wanna do with it?? I love watching tanks come together!

? Diana Lee ?

6 pygmy corys
6 tiger barbs
1 pearl gourami
1 bristlenose pleco
5 clown loaches
2 german blue rams (maybe)

with a tan or black sand substrate with some amazon swords and maybe some low growing grass like plants with driftwood and plenty of rock caves:hide:

6 pygmy corys

6 tiger barbs

1 pearl gourami

1 bristlenose pleco

5 clown loaches

2 german blue rams (maybe)

with a tan or black sand substrate with some amazon swords and maybe some low growing grass like plants with driftwood and plenty of rock caves:hide:

Ehhh, the stocking is pretty poor. German blue rams need a well established tank, clown loaches get too big for any of the sizes you're looking at, tiger barbs are nippy and will bother the gourami...

Ehhh, the stocking is pretty poor. German blue rams need a well established tank, clown loaches get too big for any of the sizes you're looking at, tiger barbs are nippy and will bother the gourami...

What would you recommend? I said tiger barbs because I've had some before and they never went after either of our gouramis they just mind their own business in the tank

Back
Top Bottom