Upgrading HOB filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thepokerkid227

Aquarium Advice Activist
Currently using a marineland penguin 200 bio wheel I had to start up my new 20 gallon once cycles complete and stocked I am thinking about upgrading to another HOB type filter. What does everyone suggest? I hear really good things about the aquaclear. Take into consideration I would like my next filter to cause a lot of surface agitation as I don't use air stones or an air pump. I'm not too fond of seeing bubbles in my tank plus it's just more cords to run.

Aquaclears are hard to beat although a rare noisy one shows up. Also check out the newer Fluval C series HOB's. Same company that makes the Aquaclears. OS.

Can you leave out the carbon layer on them? Or does it need all 3 packs to function correctly? Was thinking just having sponge then 2 packs of ceramic bio-media

That's the big plus with the Aqua Clear and the C series. You can customize and move the order of media like you want. Plus the flow control up to a point. In my AC50 I use the foam on the bottom, cut to fit fiber pad next, and a little mesh bag of ceramic bio beads on top. And I still have room for a Purigen pouch if I need one. OS.

That's a great feature really gonna look into one, never swapped out filters in an established tank, should I run the new one simultaneously for a few weeks with the old one to build up BB in it?

If you transfer the established media from the old to the new, you can just swap them out. I personally like having two filters running as I have backup in case one konks out. OS.

Once again, I totally concur with Old Scales. Drop filter media from your old filter into the new one to seed it, replace the media in the old filter with a new sponge or whatever you too out, and run both. Then, you have a backup in case something happens to the new one and you can pull one for a hospital tank if you need to set one up. Enjoy the Aquaclear. Arguably the best HOB you can get.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank Filtration

Currently using a marineland penguin 200 bio wheel I had to start up my new 20 gallon once cycles complete and stocked I am thinking about upgrading to another HOB type filter. What does everyone suggest? I hear really good things about the aquaclear. Take into consideration I would like my next filter to cause a lot of surface agitation as I don't use air stones or an air pump. I'm not too fond of seeing bubbles in my tank plus it's just more cords to run.

Hello The...

A Hagen Aquaclear 50 would be a bit much, but would provide strong surface movement and the aeration you want.

B

I always over filter as I stock heavy, I actually would prefer the aqua clear 70

Back
Top Bottom