Upgrading my 29 gallon to a 60 gallon.. stocking questions??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankeeslover

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a 29 gallon with 12 tiger barbs, 1 krib cichlid and 1 rainbow shark(just got shark this week so he is still small) I am purchasing a 60 gallon tank tomorrow and will move everything over to the bigger tank. Just couple questions, I am assuming that i can stock a bit more in the 60 gallon tank? I really want to do some kind of african Cichlid..any idea what or if any Cichlids are compatible with my current setup? im not sure how they would work with my one Krib. I do know i also want to get more tiger barbs.. I really like the barbs and may shoot for 20 tiger barbs in total... maybe a few cichlids like a yellow lab...
Last question. I currently have an aquaclear 70 filter.. will this filter be ok for the time being in the 60 gallon tank? i know the specs on the box says for 40-70 gallons, i am probably gonna keep this filter and maybe add another aquaclear 70 and use two filters in the 60 gallon..im sure two filters wont hurt.. i might have more questions to add as the day goes on, I need to figure out how to swap tanks as the new tank is going where the old tank is sitting..so i am hoping if i swap all the gravel, filter, water, everything, i wont have to worry about a big cycle happening..i dont have room for two tanks... is this a concern? ..thank you...

Using your current filter will be sufficient biologically food the 60 gallon, but the turnover rate is probably going to be the downfall. It will prevent a cycle.

My rainbow shark wasn't compatible with my tiger barbs, he bullied a school of 14 to death. I was only able to rehome 6 of them. They were in a 55.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When i upgrade/update my filter

i would like to keep my aquaclear 70 as i hate to throw it out,,its a good filter.. can i just add another aqauclear 70 and run two, or am i better off with the aquaclear 110 and run the 110 and the 70?

Just add another 70. That will give you 600gph. 10x is what I shoot for min.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Or the 110 and the 70 is even better

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey, I would get another 70 or shoot for the penguin series, they work pretty well alongside the fluvals

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

i was gonna buy a 60 gallon from petsmart with stand for $225.00 but i found a used 75 gallon on craigslist with stand for $150.00.... now i just have to pray it doesnt leak......extra 15 gallons for $75.00 savings seems the way to go for me..

Yup, you could reseal if u want tho as long as it's not on the panels

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom