Upgrading tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhsoto94

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a new 40g breeder that I plan on switching my fish into. My question is will I have to cycle the 40g even if I'm putting literally everything from my 20 into it? Filter, heater, plants, sand, water etc.

I've read mixed opinions on whether you do or don't. To play it safe i wouldn't have a problem cycling it, because I don't want any of my fish dying especially my blue ram, I know theyre sensitive. But I would prefer not to go through the process again. By just using logic wouldn't upgrading a 20 to a 40 be just like doing a 50% water change. so why would I have to cycle it keeping in mind I will be putting all of my old things with the beneficial bacteria into it?

You may end up having a mini cycle but since you're moving over the substrate, decor, and filter you should be fine. Your filter is the most important part. Just keep an eye on your parameters for the first week or so.

Hey I just upgraded my 10 gal to a 40 gal breeder! Anyway, I think it's safe to add fish :) I did the same thing and didn't loose a single fish. You might go into a mini cycle, but it won't last too long :)

Personally I would think you would be fine. I would rinse the substrate well in tank water though and then feed cautiously after the move. Then just watch it like a hawk :) Let us know how it goes.

If you're moving everything and not immediately adding more fish than you have now, it will be just fine! I did this and didn't move the gravel but all else went to the new tank. No cycle at all. I waited a week before adding any more fish to be sure.

I was fine In the past. I went from 24g to 55 with very minor mini cycle. I didn't add extra fish at first to avoid overloading smaller bacteria colony.

The only issue i could see is if the filter is inadequate to cope with the extra volume of water.

Thanks for the input everyone! I was reading a lot how you should cycle it but that just didn't seem necessary. And I already knew I was going to upgrade to a 40g when I was setting up my 20g so I already have a penguin 350 and 100 watt heater. I'm currently seeding the new filter. Just waiting on a new light fixture for my plants to set up the 40g.

Hi rhsoto

How is the new tank going. I just got a new tank today and I'm going from a 15 gal to a 40 gal and was planning to do the same as you did.

Everything's perfect no signs of sickness in any of my fish. Although I did see a sign of nitrite (.25) the day after. It went away completely and all my params are back to normal.

Really, had you many problems because I'm sure I will make plenty of mistakes

I messed up with the placement of my substrate from my old tank into the new one. I ended up having to put it in while my fish were in the new tank and I don't think they liked it haha. Plus my red tail jumped onto the floor whoops.

Back
Top Bottom