Upgrading Tanks - 29 to 55 and 10 to 29

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noteworthy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey Guys,

I finally got the 'okay' from my significant other to buy a 55 gallon setup. $220 for the kit from walmart with stand.

I am going to be moving my fish from the 29 gallon into the 55 gallon.. but first I have to move the 29 to another room. I have a 20 gallon rubbermaid container I can put the fish and 2/3 of the water from the tank in. From there I will empty all the rocks and gravel and move the 29 gallon tank and stand to another room and put the gravel rocks back in.. and then put the 10 gallon inhabitants into. Should I acclimate the occupants of the 10 gallon in the 29 by floating and adding water slowly or put them in then fill it up with water?

On the 55 I should have it almost half full with water from my old tank so I figure I can just fill er up with tap water and dechlor. I am pulling my biowheels from the 29 to put on the 55 and some gravel from the 10.

My wife wants the 29 left like it was in decoration but with her 10 gallon fish in it. So there should be no ammonia spikes because I am keeping the gravel and rocks of the 29 in the 29 for the 10 gallon inhabitants.

I am also taking the biowheels from the 29 and putting on my 55 along with the 'gravel' left from the 10 gallon to put in my 55.

Does anyone see anything wrong with my idea? I hope it goes well. I'm going to pick up some rocks and boil them later this week for my 55.

I think you will be fine. Like you said, you will be using your old filter media and most of your "old" water. Are the water params much different between the 10 gallon and the 55? What I would probably do, is acclimate the fish in the 10 to the 55 by doing small water changes(in the ten gallon tank) and refilling with water from the 55. This way when everyone makes the move all the water will be the same, and you can just move everyone over.

Well I lost my Goldfish and went to watch some TV while the rest settled in. I noticed the cats playing with something dark.. It was my PLECO!
I picked em up and put him in the 29 very quickly.. he was swimming around but then went down to the bottom and is sitting. His fins are all extended.

Well the pleco is dead now. I'm such an idiot. I forgot the dechlor in the 29 gallon.

This hobby tests your patients.. You have to do so many things so maticulasly to make sure nothing gets sick, hurt or die that sometimes it makes you want to get really upset! :mrgreen: Just remember to hang in there.. You will get it done! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: GOOD LUCK (y)

Yep. It isn't looking too good. Only thing left from her tank is the two frogs. We hospitalized one a week ago for a bacterial infection. Really bloated ADF. One seems to be okay but the other is really doesn't move much.

Back
Top Bottom