Upgrading to Larger Tank: Need New Cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Legacy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I decided to upgrade my 40G Breeder Brackish Archerfish tank to a 200G w/Live Red Mangroves. It's a pretty big step up seeing that my 4 archers are only 2.5" long but they'll love it.

So I wanted to know if I will need to cycle my 200G tank or if I can just use all of my current media and sand as long as I don't increase the bio-load right away. After I get my 4 archers established I want to add 3-4 more.

Thanks,
David

If you keep everything moist with tank water, and have cleaned the new tank without anything that would harm the fish or bacteria, and you don't increase the number of fish at the start, no, you will not have a "cycle".

Obviously you need a new filter for this larger tank, so run your current filter along side the new filter for a good amount of time. Even better would be if you could take one of the inserts from your current filter and put it in the new filter.

I have a Fluval 403 & Magnum 350 Canister filters to take care of this new tank. I can just dump my current bio-media in the canister filters and fill the rest of the filters with fresh media. My current filter is a HOB Aquaclear 110 which I don't even think will reach that deep into the tank. I will only have 12" of water in the tank. That is a lot of gravity to overcome for the HOB.

What should I clean my tank with? It's filthy! I heard vinegar works well for hard water deposits.

Since you can dump the current filter media in the new filter you should have no ammonia or nitrIte problems at all. The only reason I mentioned putting the old one on is if you couldn't put the old media in the new filter. You can safely not use the old filter.

As for cleaning the tank, I was referring to the NEW one (just water and a paper towel). For the old one, I have heard that vinegar and a salt paste and a lot of elbow grease work wonders, but have never done this myself. You can also sterilize with bleach, but make sure you rinse it out really well (I'd use this if you were storing the tank for a while), but if this is to be kept as a QT or breeding tank, I don't think you need to clean it, as the beneficial bacteria on the walls of the tank will help to get it cycled quickly if you need to use it (must be kept wet obviously and a steady ammonia supply as well).

Actually my new tank is an old tank. It's used. That's why I was wondering what I should use to clean it that will be safe for the fish and bacteria. =)

Same recommendation. Vinegar, and some salt paste, and a bunch of paper towels. I hear its not fun, but it will get the job done, and it will not cause any problems for your fish if rinsed out well. I would probably not do bleach then.

Back
Top Bottom