Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-02-2004, 09:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Upside-down Catfish

I'm looking at fish profiles, planning my new aquarium (don't have it yet), and I came across the upside-down catfish. Here's one profile I found:

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/ca...idedowncat.htm

Does anybody have these guys? They look pretty interesting.

And God said, "Let the waters swarm with fish and other life..." So God created great sea creatures and every sort of fish... And God saw that it was good. Then God blessed them, saying, "Let the fish multiply and fill the oceans..." Genesis 1:20-22
cginflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 09:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had a syno for a while- they're good scavengers, but can be aggressive sometimes. Depending on the type you get, they can get pretty large (mine was ~8"), and they grow pretty fast.

-J

Old 07-02-2004, 09:35 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I have two species of 'Upside-down' catfish...Synodontis nigrita (the Lace Synodontis) and Synodontis eupterus (the High-fin Synodontis). Neither of these cats spend a whole lot of time swimming upside down but they are pretty and interesting catfish. Synodontis nigroventris is the typical 'Upside Down' catfish and does spend almost as much time swimming upside down as it does rightside up.

Most Synodontis cats are nocturnal and you won't see them much when the lights are on in the aquarium. They'll eat practically anything. Some of them get to considerable size. The two species that I have will eventually reach up to 6 inches in length.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:41 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
I have 2 upside-down catfish. I love them! One lives in a log, and I don't ever see him. The other hangs out in a treasure chest that I have angled so that I can see him . They swim upside-down whenever they come out of hiding, and they are so fun to watch!

I have them in a 46 gallon community tank, and have had no problems.

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 10:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks, everybody. They're definitely on my wish list, then, they sound really cool.

And God said, "Let the waters swarm with fish and other life..." So God created great sea creatures and every sort of fish... And God saw that it was good. Then God blessed them, saying, "Let the fish multiply and fill the oceans..." Genesis 1:20-22
cginflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 10:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think there was a James Bond, Octopussy, which had an aquarium with some large upside down catfish. They must have been 6 to 8 inches long. Ever since that movie wanted some upside down catfish. I ended up getting three lace catfish. They’re a good-looking fish when I can see them, which is usually about once every couple weeks.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had one for 7 years. He never got more than 4" or 5" long. They are shy and need a place to hide out. Mine was upside down most of the time. Just put a pellet of sinking food in after turning the lights off. Come back and look into the dark tank after a while if you want to watch him eat.

Tags
catfish, psi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com