URGENT advice needed for very FAT Molly / Guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nett

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello... I am new here. I have a Molly or Guppy (sorry, i am not sure which) and she is super FAT.

I originally thought she was pregnant, but as her size seems to keep growing and growing, i am not too sure what is wrong with her.

She is quite happy, has a great appetite and is not stressed. At night i pop her into a breeder box to seperate her, and she happily swims into it.

I am worried that she is sick and i would like to try and help her. Her bowel movements are fine and there is nothing about her that is a concern other then her belly.

Please help. I really need advice.

Thank you.

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 1,124
Dropsy, I have never saved a fish with this. You might want to consider putting it down.

Looks much more like a tumor to me but the angle makes it difficult to decipher.
Either way survival of the fish in this case is slim to none.

Everyone here is correct in one thing, Nett, your fish is not going to make it; not at this stage. Whether it's dropsy or a tumor its internal organs will be far too damaged for recovery.
Sorry for the horrible news :(
I hope her way out is peaceful.

Thanks everyone. I am sad to hear that you think she is unwell :( She is happ, hence why i am confused with her. Do you think i should wait it out or send her to fish heaven?

Yes, none of her scales are protuding. This is why i didnt think it was dropsy.

The same as any other pet, as long as she seems happy let her be, but the moment she starts suffering I would bring her peace.

Do I see a little red thing hanging out of your guppy?
It sure looks like a worm protruding from the fishes anus...
If yes then look into camallanus as if it is what your guppy the whole tank is likely infected...Be thorough in your viewing as the worm can retract back into the fish.Your fish looks very full....
Camallanus Treatment - Use of Levamisole HCl

No, it looks red but that is because of the pic. What you see protruding out is a poop :)

I will look up the worms though. Thanks!

I feel like I'm crazy, because your fish just looks pregnant/fine to me.
I don't see any worms protruding or pinecone scales. could you post a couple of pictures from different angles?
Is she swimming throughout the tank? or is she sticking towards the top or bottom exclusively?
How often do you do water changes? how big of one do you do?

I wouldn't put her out of her misery without knowing something is for sure wrong with her. Fish don't have the same cognitive/comprehension of pain that we do. It is more of a good/bad stimulus and then react mentality (at least that is how my zoology professor explained it to me).

Hi GuppyGuy333,

I have attached 2 new pics. One from the top and one of her swimming around. She is swimming (or waddling) around the tank, hence why i think she is happy. She seems to want to rest on top of the filter but whenever i go near the tank she will swim up looking for food.

The first pic of her was when i put her in a breeding box so this is why she looks like she is staying at the top.

Although she is active, she still will hide and hang out with her fish buddy.

I do a water change weekly and then will do a big change every couple of weeks or so. I have taken water to our local pet store to check the water but it is all fine. The tank is big (60L) and has 6 little fish in it.

She doesnt look or behavoiur sad, hence why i am confused.

Attachments

• fis 2.jpg
    fis 2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 184
  • fish 3.jpg
    fish 3.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 214
... and here is a video of her :fish2:

Last edited:
Same with GuppyGuy333, I don't think she's sick as well. I might be crazy too, but she just looks pregnant to me. And she is a guppy, not a molly. ? Anyway, if she's acting normal, no need to put her out of misery, since she doesn't act miserable. If she does starts to act lethargic or floating sideways, or any unusual behavior, then she might be suffering with a tumor or something else. Then it's up to you if you will keep her till she passed or put her to sleep.

Thanks everyone... she is still alive and swim waddling around. Very confusing! Crossing fingers she will be okay. :)

Whatever it is. Don't send her to fish heaven. Let her swim while she is fine.

I am amazed at how fat this fish is and still moving. And yes now that I see the scales she has not pineconed. So no on the dropsy idea. I have never had female guppies but if they get this big while pregnant, I hurt just looking at the pics.

Back
Top Bottom