urgent! help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovemydragongoby

Aquarium Advice FINatic
okay to start it off, here is my list of fish in my 80gal...1 dragon goby, 3 bumble gobies, 1 gsp, mollies and guppies 1 swordtail.

we are currently setting up a 30gal tank for the gsp

so here is what happened: we've lost 2 guppies to my gsp which is no big deal because we put him in there to control the population. but today i was just looking at the tank and noticed that one of bum
ble gobies has a chunk missing on his back. the culprit, none other than my gsp.

i have a 20gal tank running and cycled that i had some convicts in, but we have the cons away. we put a swordtail in that tank because he was bullying the other fish. i dont want him to bully anymore fish, but i dont want to lose anymore fish to my gsp. so i was going to put the swordtail back in my 80gal and move my gsp to the 20gal until his 30 is ready.

however i just checked the parameters in the 20 because they say gsps are very sensitive to water parameters.
ammonia: 0
nitrites : 0.1
nitrates: around 10
ph: between 7 and 7.5

will be gsp be okay in the tank with those parameters if i do constant monitoring? and i just added a dose of prime to see if it would help. I'm going to check the nitrites again in an hour to see if they've dropped.

please help!

You will have brackish water in the 20g, right? I would do a quick pwc, get the nitrite down to 0, then go ahead and transfer over. Nitrite is not nearly as harmful to fish in full marine aquariums, I'd say the same would go for brackish as well. If you consistently get nitrite readings in the 20g, that would indicate an issue with your biofilter, which you may want to add some additional seed material from the 80g. Of course, this is just my opinion ;)

no the tanks arent brackish yet, we were battling ich, its week two. and the spots are gone, but 2 of my mollies are still flashing. we're using the salt/heat treatment to battle ich. once the tank was finished with ich we were going to introduce some marine salt.
is there anything i can add to the tank to help the BB goby? or should i just hope for the best?

Everything I have read about GSPs indicates that they should not be placed in a cycling tank. They need pristine water conditions.

... Or did you mean the 20g?

i meant the 20gal...but i gave it another dose of prime and the nitrites have dropped to nothing
so now the params. are
ammonia: 0
nitrites: 0
nitrates: 10
ph: between 7 and 7.5

Back
Top Bottom