URGENT!!! Help plz catastrophe struck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think purigen eats ammonia. It isn't zeolite.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You are correct. It isn't zeolite.

From Seachem... "Purigen® controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds. "

Controlling nitrogenous compounds in a cycling tank can AND does warp the cycle and makes it unpredictable at best though. Unpredictable uptake and test readings are not something you want before the tank is established.

JMO/E.

Guys I haven't used it since the accident and I did it because people on here told me to get it as it would help my water. So Idk why u keep thinking I'm using it

You are correct. It isn't zeolite.

From Seachem... "Purigen® controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds. "

Controlling nitrogenous compounds in a cycling tank can AND does warp the cycle and makes it unpredictable at best though. Unpredictable uptake and test readings are not something you want before the tank is established.

JMO/E.

HN1,

I'm curious now..

Seachem has always been somewhat secretive about exactly how Purigen "removes" nitrogenous organic waste. Is this waste only removed when you take the Purigen out to re-charge it with bleach? I was always under the impression that Purigen is a mechanical filter media, not a chemically active one. Seachem calls it an "organic scavenging resin", which to me suggests that the organic waste remains trapped in the pores of the resin until it gets burned away with bleach. :confused:

HN1,

I'm curious now..

Seachem has always been somewhat secretive about exactly how Purigen "removes" nitrogenous organic waste. Is this waste only removed when you take the Purigen out to re-charge it with bleach? I was always under the impression that Purigen is a mechanical filter media, not a chemically active one. Seachem calls it an "organic scavenging resin", which to me suggests that the organic waste remains trapped in the pores of the resin until it gets burned away with bleach. :confused:

You hit the nail on the head. The only way the stuff it absorbs actually gets removed is when it gets soaked in the bleach. It just pulls it out of the water and binds it. Technically it is a chemical filter media though.

Reactions: HN1
Back
Top Bottom