urgent question, fish injury!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littleloachlover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 125gal fw comm tank with: 2 bala sharks, 2 silver dollars, 3 angels, 6 clown loaches, and 3 botia kubotai. Temp: 78.7, pH 6.5, 0 ammon n nitrite, 40ppm nitrates. I know nitrates are high, been doing daily water changes to get it down and waiting on our ro/di systm to arrive.
I was doing a pwc and the largest bala injured himself. After pwc's, i usually net any plant debris out of water and the balas will swim bk and forth with my net, sometimes almost going in it. Well, he was on one end of tank and 1 of the silver dollars took off quickly and spooked the bala. The bala swam into a large fake bamboo plant and when he shot out, he scraped himself up on our "loach motel", a ceramic decoration. He has lost some scales ( i netted them out) on both sides of his body. No fin damage and no damage deep enough to bleed or appear red.
Am I correct in thinking these are superficial scrapes and he should be ok? Ill continue daily pwcs and keep things stable. Is there anything else that I should do? Im a little frantic right now. Thanks for ANY advice, in advance.

Relax!!! He should heal up on his own in no time at all! Just keep the water as healthy as you are able to manage and keep an eye on him. Nothing special needed! :)

Thanks jlk! He is eating and swimming normally. I think Im more traumatized than he is. Thanks again!

It's ok! I had fish injure themselves in a similar fashion & rip scales down to bloody flesh- healed completely on their own in about 2 weeks time. No worries!

Good! Im a little ocd with my 3tanks. Ill keep an eye on him and keep his water clean. He seemed a little stunned at first, but ok now. I saw silver scales on tank bed and missing scales on his sides....I flipped a little.
Thanks again!

I agree. This is probably nothing to worry about. I have a medium sized Oscar that manages to hurt himself about once a week. The most recent injury looked significantly deeper and nastier than the previous ones. He even had part of the dorsal fin hanging.

It completely healed itself in about 4 days. I think your Bala shark will be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom