Usable Drift wood ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blahblahblah

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a piece of driftwood that we picked up off the beach in South Carolina. We've had it for roughly 18 years. I was wondering if I was to boil it would I be able to use it in my freshwater tank? Or will there just be too much salt in it?

Thank you and advance for your help,
Sue

Hi Sue. I am new to freshwater tanks, but everything I have read says not to use any driftwood you find by the ocean. I don't think boiling it would get all the salt crystals out of the cracks. I would recommend finding a local aquarium store near by and purchasing it there. I bought a small piece for my tank (3.5"x2") for about $5.
Good luck!

you would need to soak it for a couple months, and you would want to change the water every week, what fish are in the tank?

I think if you soaked it for a long time and did water changes it should be fine.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

I've purchased from a shop just up the coast (OBX) and had mixed results. I've got a few large pieces (2' across, trunk shaped) that have been in my garden for several years. Hacked off a piece, boiled it, mounted it on some slate and it was fine. Did not get soft, few tannins if any. I eventually sold it when I changed my scape.
I also picked up some interesting smaller pieces from the "dollar bin". IMO these pieces would have been better suited for a terrarium or reptile cage. After boiling they still released a lot of tannins. They would not sink so I threw them into a small pond out back. It took 8+ months before they sank. After reboiling to remove the algae and whatnot, they wood was a bit soft. When I dried it, there was a brown powdery residue on the surface (similar to charred wood).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I live really close to the Saint Joe River in Indiana. Do you think it would be safe to find one along there? Or would I be better off finding a creek and looking for some? I read and one of the articles on this site that states you should only use certain types of wood. I'm embarrassed to say I can't tell them apart. I also wanted to say thank you all so very much for taking time out of your busy day to read and answer my post! :)

Back
Top Bottom