use of calcium carbonate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kagentx

Aquarium Advice Activist
to adjust my kH and gH, i've figured out to use sodium bicarbonate, calcium carbonate to fix up my water parameters. Does anyone know where i can purchase these ingredients? also what effects do sulfate have in the water? i was planning to supply calcium sulfate and magnesium sulfate for the gH! thanks guys i'm feelin closer and closer to success thanks to all of your suggestions!

Well, I can answer one of those questions. Sodium bicarbonate is baking soda. That's right--it's the only ingredient. So, to get your sodium bicarbonate, to up your pH and KH, baking soda is your simple answer.

Calcium carbonate is easily added by putting a mesh bag of it into your filter, or if you have an Emperor just put it into the media baskets. Change it out every 4 months or so. The LFS should have the fine mesh bags with a tie top, or I suppose you could use a section of pantyhose or knee high hose - just to keep the bits of coral from getting away.

thanks alot, i got a bag of crushed corals and put it in my tank.
the pH raised from 6.2 to 7.0 =O i'm guessing that isn't so good... but thankfully none of my fish are dead. The kH raised from 1 degree to 4 degrees! will the CO2 bring this all back down later on? Do i have to raise my gH? its only 1 degree.

I just ran across a local hydropontics (sp??) store this past weekend that had a nice selection of various nutrients. May try and see if you have any hydropontic shops in your area.

Funny thing is, when my coworkers ask me what I did this weekend. They all gave me the strangest look when I told them I went to a hydro store. First thing they ask me was, "Are you involved in any illegal activities?"

Some people just don't understand :roll:

Epsom salts and your CC should raise the GH. 1 is really too low for the fishes health. IMO, double check your testing first and bring it up a bit to 3 to 6 dGH

Back
Top Bottom