Use some salt water filter media to establish freshwater tank, is this okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlwn88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

Quick question. I have an established salt water tank, however, I've just recently began setting up a freshwater tank for cichlids. I know you can greatly help or pretty much eliminate the need to wait through the cycle by adding something from the established tank.

The salt water tank has two filters so I want to add one of the filter pads into the freshwater filter, and I just want to double check if this won't be harmful and will I have any issues as water as far as salinity? I wouldn't think it's a big deal but I wanted to double check before I do something potentially stupid.

Thanks,
David

Shouldn't be harmful, but not sure if the bacteria would survive the osmotic change.

Different types of bacteria. It will die off in fresh and do more harm than good I'm afraid.

Nitrosomonas converts ammonia to nitrite and Nitrobacter converts nitrite to nitrate in both fresh water and salt water. As Tim said, the bacteria might not survive the change, but it's worth a shot.

Back
Top Bottom