Use this tank or get a new one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paradisio

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon; just getting into the hobby...

Now, I'm a college student(ish...) so I don't have a ton of income.

55 gallon seems to be the size when fish tanks start peaking, and you have a larger variety of options. But there is also a significant price jump from 29-55. Even if I get the tank at a reasonable price, its going to be potentially several months before I can get everything up and going.

I already have the 29 gallon (had it for a while) and I estimate I could afford all the supplies right now. Or I could save up for the 55 gallon, what do you guys think?

if You new to the hobby you may want to stick with the 29. Yeah larger tanks mean larger fish but even with a 29 you could have a nice cichlid tank. Cichlids are realtively hardy and very coloful, just remember you cant rush aquariums, Aquariums requre patience. Also with a 55gal youll probably will want to go with a canister filter which can be quite expensive.

If you can wait, and are able to save... I'd go for the 55gal. There is more you can do with it and even if you are a beginner, the bigger the tank, the easier it is to keep under control

29's are really great (I've got two of em). But I know the itch that some people can get for a bigger tank (like me) so if you can start off with a big tank, I say go for it.

I have a 70gal and want a bigger one and some smaller ones. I guess whichever tank size you start if everything works out fine, then you'll always want more and bigger tanks lol.

I would start with the 29. It's stabile enough for a beginner and you can first see how and if you really like aquaristic. then you can still save up more money to buy a bigger one, or maybe you'll need two smaller ones for fishbabies. Or both lol. Start small, you still can get more if you like the hobby.

Thanks, I think I'm going to stay with the 29.

I have another thread but can't reply to it. Can anyone give me any fish ideas? I liked a lot at the pet store; but I know I can't put most of it in such a small tank. I'm looking for social fish mostly, non-aggressive and playful. Colorful especially.

Well you could get some Dwarf or Ram Cichlids, thats what Im going with in one of my 30gals. There plenty colorful and quite peaceful for a cichlid species. You could put a Plec or some cories with them probably and could try some other small fish if the cihlids dont decide to eat them. Another route for some coloful fish is of course Gouramis with a nice little group of Neon Tetras.

I just bought a 29G which I'm setting up as a spawning tank for my Bolivian Rams. Rams are a good fish for the smaller tank if you are looking at cichlids.

I guess shopping around has paid off, I left messages and check all the local classifieds for tanks. At this point, its more cost efficient for me to get one of the used ones.

Since for 100 dollars I can get: Tank, Stand, Gravel, Filter, Driftwood, glass top and hood.

And another person is offering me something similar for 150; still sketchy on the details.

Regardless, buying a complete used setup is turning out to be the better idea.

The blue rams are stunning, but unfortunately I can't seem to find them locally.

yup thats what i did. kinda. what i was going to do. until i convinced my father to buy a 120 gallon and sell me his other one . lol 300 bucks for a 80 gallon with everything.
but i ended up buying my own stuff and let him keep his

Ok never mind... one of them was a saltwater tank and the other was a 4 hour drive, which I would have to make twice.

Also if you are looking for rams check with your local aquarium society as some of the members may be breeders. Breeders generally have better quality fish than lfs's. I couldn't find and GBR's around here so I got some from a local breeder and couldn't be happier with them.

I started with a 29g...still love it....I wouldn't trade it for a 55 now if I had too...I've just spent that much time on it and my guys,gals and plants inside.

But if you can find a deal,gobble it up.

Paradisio said:
Can anyone give me any fish ideas? I liked a lot at the pet store; but I know I can't put most of it in such a small tank. I'm looking for social fish mostly, non-aggressive and playful. Colorful especially.
Well IMO, that describes tetras and rainbows. A school of dwarf rainbows, lemon tetras, neons, pristilla, and many other tetras would do great in that size tank.
For bottom feeders you could go with some cories, small loaches, or maybe a dwarf pleco.
It's up to you of which you choose and like the best.

I would go with the 29 for now since you already have the tank. Initial cost is really the only significant amount to take in consideration when setting up a freshwater tank so later on if you decide you want the 55 and you have some extra money you could probably run both if you wanted to.

I myself, I started with a 10 and I just got a 50 gal used but in great condition from buysell.com . I would have been alot happier starting with a 20. When you first start off, I guess a larger aquarium can seem like alot, but you also have more felxibility with water paramers and choice of fish. Chances are though you'll just want a bigger one anyway so I'd go with the 55. I would have a 55 right now if I'd found one for a good price.

Back
Top Bottom