Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Used tank questions:

I found an ad for a 110 gl tank, 2 new hob filters, lid,stand,light. What are things I should check for. It is set up in the ad. I am quite excited!! BUT... I have to convince the other half that this is a good idea...

Old 02-28-2015, 01:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fill it up half way in the garage, watch for a few hours check leaks, fill it up more (repeat), check the stand if its wood, make sure its not rotting and looks stable. After ~24hrs, if no leaks are present and no cracks or damage found. I would gently clean it w/ tap water and a rag, rinse, repeat (could use a LITTLE bit of bleach, but RINSE it REALLY GOOD afterwards). I would then move it to its final destination.

Equipment, check to make sure its all working, obviously you will know about the heater after you ran it for a little. (stuff is pretty cheap ~$40)

Filters I would probably replace the media w/ new. Clean the housing with tap water.
(Don't know how well that other person took care of the tank, and media) Best to just start fresh and new.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh and if this is at someone's place (craigslist), have them fill it up while you're there (nothing special, just put water in it) and check for leaks before you give them $$. Save yourself the hassle, and check the stand quality while there.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Still have to talk to the other half. We have a small house... but Iam up for getting rid of the couch
Old 02-28-2015, 04:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My advice, wait, don't be tempted, if your room is too small it will not sit well........
Old 02-28-2015, 04:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

All of my tanks are used and I haven't had any problems, other than an excess of unwanted plastic plants and decorations.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am going to wait, We are still kinda in a mess from getting the house and moving in. Thanks for the advice Ricky 1.

Tags
question, questions, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com