Used tank setup purchase ??s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MandyINCo

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I'm thinking of buying a second tank on craigslist. There are a few that were once turtle habitats, and some that were freshwater setups.

What questions should I ask, and what should I look for?

Does it have any leaks? Any outbreaks of disease? Any cracks or scratches? How long was it set up? Is any equipment being sold with it? Has it ever been resealed? If they only list gallons, ask for the dimensions. If I think of anything else I'll edit this post.

I got lucky getting a used setup from my LFS instead of online, got to look at it before I bought it. And it came with a stand and a huge box of equipment. In my opinion it is worth waiting for a setup with a stand and some equipment for a good price as long as the equipment is of good quality. It will save money in the long run.

If I were you, I would also ask to see the tank with water in it and not just take their word for it that it holds water.

absolutangel04 said:
If I were you, I would also ask to see the tank with water in it and not just take their word for it that it holds water.

+1 if the seller isn't willing to do this, you may just want to look elsewhere

Be careful with those tanks that housed reptiles. A lot of those are not made to hold a full load of water and have very thin glass. An LFS close to me sells tanks you would not want to use as an aquarium but work fine for a snake or something, they are much cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom