Used tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cwt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I tried to search on the term, but 'used' isn't allowed for some reason. Anyway, a question: I've seen people pick up used tanks and show them in the New Acquisitions area, and I have to wonder: just how much cleanup and/or sterilization should be done before housing fish in them again? All my tanks were bought new, and so I don't have a feel for what to do with a used one.

All of my larger tanks are used. I wash them out with about one cap of bleach to a bucket of water, rinse well then right before I set it up rinse again and use a little extra prime. I have gotten a 29 gallon, 50 gallon, 10 gallon and 2 five gallon ones.

Actually the only new tanks I have bought is my 4 2.5 gallon ones.

Depends on the condition of the tank as well.
I bought a used 46 gal. bowfront, the tank was set up and running with fish. I helped empty the tank and bag the fish.
I threw away the sand substrate and rinsed out the tank with a rag and plain tap water. I didn't touch the filter. I added new substrate at home, filled the tank and added the fish back in. I have never lost a single one of those fish and the tank only had a very minor mini cycle.

Mine were all down, craigslist and thrift store finds. One thing about a used tank that isn't up and running, check for leaks. An easy way is put it outside on a level surface with a couple of layers of newspapers, and fill it up. It is easier to see a leak with newspapers than with a towel.

If the tank has hard water deposits, undiluted vinegar is good for taking that off; then bleach to sterilize as the previous post. Also, for a used tank, if the seams are hard & brittle, or loose & frayed at the edges, it would be worthwhile to reseal the tank before setting up, even if it doesn't leak.

Was thinking about buying a used tank myself . Good advice guys . Although there are more options with a new tank . Food for thought .

All of my tanks have been used ones that I got for free (20 g and two 10 g's). Free tanks are often in rough shape, I had to do a LOT of scrubbing to get the hardened white gunk off of everything. Even had to use a knife to scrape some off.

As far as sterilization goes, I wouldn't really worry about it. Just give it a good cleaning and rinse it. Also depends on if the tank was running or not when you get it. If it has been dormant for at least a few days, I don't see how anything could still be alive.

Depends on shape it is in. If it is well maintained, and not much scrubbing required, you'll be good to go by using bleach in bucket of water, and then rinsing it 2 or 3 times with water. Leaks are must to check.

thanks for all the replies. Sounds like the part that would be most troublesome is whether it leaks or not.

IMO if the tank has been completely dry for a week or more then cleaning with plain water is all you need. If it had healthy life the same applies. If it was allowed to go stagnant or had health problems then I would do a bleach or a sun dried cleaning. Out of the dozens of tanks I have owned only two I bought new. Just my three cents!

Back
Top Bottom