Used tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an opportunity to purchase a used 60 gal tank with hob filter, aquaclear 400 I think for $99. My problem is that it is from a second hand store and quite dirty, I have no way of knowing if it would leak or not obviously. The tank is 4' x2' x1'. Would anyone recommend taking the chance? And I know how to clean the tank, even how to reseal if it turns out to be necessary, but how do I clean out the filter? It has white caked on stuff on it. The aquarium comes with a hood, no lights or stand. On the other hand I am able to get another used tank, 75 gal canopy tank with filter, hood and lights, stand, gravel and decorations for $250.00. I know this one doesn't leak, I've seen it in use. That one is much more likely to be something I will purchase for sure. Opinions?

I would go with the 75. Once you get lights and aa stand for the 60g you are going to be close to $250 total anyway, and way over after you get all the other stuff like gravel and decor. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Snatch that 75g up quick!

I plan to for sure. I just don't seem to be able to stop now that I've started. :oops: I want more and more tanks. Planning on buying a new house soon and now that is being taken into consideration on what kind of house to buy. LOL

If you are having the house built and can afford it, a tank built into a wall has always been a dream of mine...

It is a discount store did you try to haggle them down a little, maybe talk to the manager of the discount store and explain the $1 a gallon rule for used aquariums? and I use bleach on my tanks to get them clean.. I get alot of used tanks.. I have a 29 gallon that I just got that had a lizard in it for over 5 years, it will deffinatly need re-siliconed the lizard did a number on the seals.. Im just going to cut the old silicone out and clean it up and put new in.. Ive done this with 3 other tanks.. The first one of wich I did when I was a teenager and my uncle is still using the tank now, I resealed it about 15 years ago! Ive repaired cracked and clogged filters as well vinegar and or bleach should get the aquaclear clean again..
The setup would be worth about 75 dollars if I was getting it from a individual but a little more from a store that dealt in used equipment..

Agree on the vinegar to clean the filter. Think of how you would clean a coffeemaker. It's much the same.

I like scoffing up old tanks. If you can afford it, buy them both. You never know when you'll have a need for it. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom