useless Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

depdiver

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone else had a useless Pleco? After the loss of our Pleco that kept our tank very algae free we purchased another one. this one is completely useless. My tank is green. The little fish eats flake food with the other fish and will take a token bite of algae every one in a while. I'm considering trading him in on another one. Anyone else experienced this?

Well, I am not entirely certain about this, but... I think that most fish that eat algae will do it more while they are young and small. In an aquarium, the amount of algae is not enough to feed even moderately sized fish, so the fish become accustomed to eating other things and slack off on eating algae? I never had a Pleco do that great a job, so you are not alone.

He's less than three inched long (including tail) He is young. He has always had plenty of algae to eat. I also wafers for him when when he gets his job done. But so far those have just sat on the shelf. I've always been pleased with Pleco in the past. This guy is just really annoying.

how long you had him? no need to fed the wafer at all. just feed other fish with std fish food. how suppose a pleco ate algea when he have wafer supplement?

He has never had a wafer. They are waiting for him to do his job. We've had him about a month. He does the back stroke along the surface to eat the flakes.

Do you know what type of Plec you have? Do you have a pic?
What kind of algae do you have? Do you have a pic?
You may have bought a "Common", but have something else entirely?
Some Plecs don't eat alot of algae, and not all algaes are considered edible by different types of fish. Some's dietary needs change as they get older, but it sounds like yours is still young, though some Plecs don't get very large.
It'll take a "very" large tank to support a medium sized or larger plec with enough algae to form the mainstay of its diet, plecs need "bulk", zuchinni, cucumber and assorted lettuces are good choices, some folks use beans-n-peas especially for young plecs.
Some Plecs need wood to eat to or they'll suffer ill effects, some are even prefer a meaty diet.
While the majority of Plecs are herbivores some Plecs are omnivorous and hence very opportunistic, so if other foods are readily available then they'll chow down on the easiest meal.
Some fish can be forced by need/hunger to learn to eat things that would usually be off-limits... Floating flake food and swimmimg upside down to get at it for example.
A picture could go a long way to ID'ing your fish and helping with dietary information/needs.
And then we must accept the fact that fish are individuals and like us can be weirdos :roll: ...

If your gonna trade'em...
The absolute best algae eaters to be had IMHO would be a small school (5 or more.) of Otocinclus, though even they don't eat all types of algae and will rapidly clean any tank and need supplemental foods.

There are alot of websites dedicated to Cats-n-Plecs, you may find a plec guru or two that can help you with your fish at one of these.

Goodluck

I ended up just purchasing another pleco, so now I have Useless and Suckhead. The tank is starting to look better now. It is kinda fun to watch Useless do the back stroke to eat flakes.

Dep

Chinese algae eaters always out do the plecos, get one of those, he will be on a never ending quest to clean your tank

I had bad experiences with chinese algae eaters when I was a kid (kept sucking on my other fish) at age 5 seeing fish with holes in their sides sticks with you. I just get repulsed every time I see them at the LFS. I'll stick to plecos.

Here's the Pic (it's not very good)

This is Useless doing the backstroke to eat flakes while the back wall is green. Taken form the top of the tank pointing down:

backstroke.JPG

Alternatively you can get a oto, they're much more effective algae eaters than the common pleco.

I did a quick google search on oto and came up blank, can you point me to more info? I'm going to jump over ot PlecoFanatics now and see what I can find.

It does sound like he is a type of pleco that does not eat algea.

A lot of pet stores just get a pleco and call it a common no matter what it is. I have heard of people getting very rare and pricey plecos for $2 because they were labled common. I'd find out what he is so you can feed him accordingly.

Good luck :)

Dont feel bad. I purchased my pleco 2 years ago and he has yet to eat any algae off the back of my 55 gal, which btw, is coated with the green stuff. I also have a raphael (even more useless than the pleco!) and a loach. I do occasionally catch the pleco sucking on my artificial plant leaves. Wrong spot, stupid!! lol

I bought an "algae brush" which I guess im going to have to take my lids off and scrape the back wall. I think its elevating my nitrate #'s.

In the meanwhile, why dont we hook up our two useless plecos, maybe they will mate (Ive heard they mate easy) and make 1 useful one!!! :lol:

Funny, that picture looks exactly like my useless pleco. Without seeing the top, I would bet it's a Clown pleco. Mine rarely comes out of hiding and never eats algae, though I enjoy him all the same. I bought a bristlenose to supplement the cleaning duties.

Back
Top Bottom