Uses for W/C water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ManicPenguin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't like just dumping all this water. I have a 10G and a 20G and I do 50%/wk water changes. That is 15g/wk that just gets dumped. I usually throw the water out into the lawn, but I am wondering, can you water houseplants or garden veggies with it?

I have read about aquaponics so it seems like it would work. Have you tried it? results?

Cheers!

I water my houseplants with it each time, saving some for the plants I water more than once a week. The rest gets dumped outside on shrubs. It is good for them!

15g a week isn't too bad... Try doing 50% weekly changes on when you have both 75g and 56g systems ;)

All sorts of plant life love the water from fish tank WCs, it's basically fertilized water for them. As you said, aquaponics is based on this concept and has been used successfully for years with great success.

I bought the wife a 45g patio rain barrel and put my fish tank water in it. She uses it to water all the plants on and around the patio. Last year she had the nicest growth and flowers ever. OS.

Like others have said , it's great for houseplants . My cactus sprouted a new branch after watering it with a little fishtank water for a month ^-^

Yup, plants love fishy water. My wife uses it for her garden and houseplants. We even give some to our local garden club and they always want more.

I use it on all the plants. Apart from the exercise I think it is a better use of water. I tend to not use it on say strawberry plants when they are in season. Just in case.

Back
Top Bottom