Using a gravel washer in a densely packed tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JeffNebraska

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought the Python water change system and it works great, but the mouth of the suction tube is too wide for my densely planted tank. I can't really clean my gravel at all with it. Any ideas about an attachment or converter to switch to a narrower intake tube?

What do you use to wash your gravel without disturbing your plants?

I was wondering the same thing! You beat me to the post though :black:

I am starting to slowly populate my 10 gal with live plants and was wondering how I would vacuum the gravel after it is considered "heavily planted".

Jeff...all I can say is great minds think (or question) alike! :D

I'm certainly not the expert here, but I don't think you need to vacuum a heavily planted tank. The leftover food and waste actually creates a fertilizer for the plants.

I think you can vacuum the areas that aren't planted if it becomes necessary but you shouldn't have to worry about the plants.

Correct. I don't vacuum my planted tank at all. The plants will use the left over food and waste for fertilizer....

Really makes cleaning a planted tank simple. Just do your regular partial water change, clean the filters, and clean the glass of spot algae and your done...

I partially agree with what's been posted so far.

A heavily planted tank does not usually need gravel cleaning, provided it is stocked correctly and the amount of food collecting on the gravel is minimum.

Ideally you should aim for about 3/4 to 1/2 fish inches per gallon rather than the common 1" rule, in order to keep fish output in sync with plant input.

it also largely depends on the size and texture of your gravel. large peppble sized gravel will create realitively large 'spaces' for debris to collect and form anaerobic pockets, simiarly very fine gravel like play sand will prevent large-scale bacterial colonies from forming and that creates problems as well. Having something that constantly stirs your gravel like a catfish, goldfish or other bottom feeder should help in these situations.

IF you must vacuum the bottom (especially if its a 10g like I have) don't bother with the Python. I occasionally use a small siphon for the bits of poo that won't go away, as well as for water changes. Less current that way, can get it inbetween plants if I absolutely have to, and I can control the amount of water moving better.

I do the same as Allivymar, using a very small self-priming syphon for large debris, but I avoid vacuuming around the plants. MTS are good for keeping sandy tanks aerated, as they burrow.

In case anyone is still interested, I solved this problem.

I took a medium-sized, clean, square sponge and cut a slit in the center. Then I shoved my small tube (from my small siphon) through the slit. After that, I crammed the sponge with the tube into the larger tube of my python tank cleaner. This allowed me to get excess debris around the base of my plants. The only slight downside was that gravel tended to accumulate above the sponge, but it didn't inhibit water flow and I just dumped it back in after I was done.

Based on the posts above, I'll probably only wash my gravel on every other water change, to make sure my plants have plenty of food around their roots. Thanks.

Sounds like a good solution, Jeff. I only vacuum up large dead leaves, and unsightly piles of detritus( it tends to gather in some spots without much current). Anything that settles into the gravel is good stuff, I leave it be.

Back
Top Bottom