Using Baking Soda To Raise Ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertmarda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a friend who says he is going to us baking soda to raise the Ph from 7.0 to 8.0 before putting any fish in the tank. I've never heard of using baking soda to raise Ph. Will this work? Is this preferable to using Ph UP? Won't it hurt the fish after he puts them in the tank?

Hi Robert,

Will this work? Yes
Is this preferable to using Ph UP? prefered by whom?.
Won't it hurt the fish after he puts them in the tank? No

I did a GOOGLE search on BAKING SODA AQUARIUM and came up with over 3300 links.

I'll narrow it down for you;
http://www.cichlidae.com/askpam/p001.html
Baking soda is great to increase your pH but it won't hold it up there forever. Epsom Salts not only increases the pH a bit, but I think it also helps fish digest and pass their foods, it may even help prevent the dreaded "Malawian Bloat." Rock Salt increases the saline and also help reduce the possibility of ich. Soda ash will dramatically raise your pH and will keep it there, however you must be careful with Soda Ash, it can literally burn you and your fish. There are also several commercial water additives available on the market, but you still have to know what your water conditions are before knowing how much to add.

I wouldn't be surprized if Baking Soda (aka sodium bicarbonate) is one of the main indredients in Ph UP.

WAY OFF TOPIC>>>
For my Hot Tub, the Ph PLUS is sodium bicarbonate and the Ph DOWN is hydrochloric acid. I just buy the generic stuff 'cause it's way cheaper.

The "Filter Free" (Hot Tub filter cleaner) is a TSP (TriSodium Phosphate) solution. If I were to buy a 1 year supply it would cost $120. However, I can make the same amount using TSP and water for $1.50.

I'd rather spend the additional $118.50 on my fishies.

Just my opinion.

I've heard of people using baking soda, but I've never used it myself.
Is he trying to raise the pH for african cichlids? If so, using one of the cichlid salts that you can buy at the LFS would be a better choice IMO.

Edit: I think the term cichlid salts is perhaps misleading so I'll reword that to say african cichlid water conditioner. In my own mind I know exactly what I meant! :wink:

Thanks for the quick responses. So instead of buying Ph UP all I need is baking soda if I'm going to go that route for raising Ph.

Yes, he just bought 6 african chiclids.

Hi Robert,

Just bear in mind, the first sentence of the quote I posted...
Baking soda is great to increase your pH but it won't hold it up there forever.

IMHO, if your pH keeps dropping, find out the cause of it and correct that.

Just a thought.

When using baking soda, a little goes a long way...quickly. Be careful.

Thanks for the advice. Thankfully, I don't have a problem with fluctuating Ph. If I ever need to raise it I plan to put some shells in the tank. I don't buy fish until I have a place ready to put them into. I just thought the baking soda could be useful (and is cheaper) than Ph UP, in case I need to raise the Ph, even if temporarily.

This will have no relevence to the topic at hand, but may I ask the user who started this topic, 'What turtle do you keep in a 10 gallon aquarium?'
I wasn't aware it was possible!
thanxs in advance
Justin :twisted:

I have just started using Washing Soda by Arm & Hammer to raise my pH.
It did raise my pH from 7.7 to 8.1 using 3 tsp. (75 gal. reef). This contains Sodium Carbonate, This was a last ditch effort as no matter what I used either didn't work or drove my Alkalinity through the roof.
I figured being all I had in the tank now was LR & a few Mushrooms now was the time to try it. As I said it did raise my pH and only rose my Alk. slightly. Now I will wait and see if it holds and for how long. I am using an R/O unit and have well water, That is my main reason for low pH.
And we thought it was only for the refrigerator and washing machine :D

Hi EMS503,

Be careful with the Washing Soda. Like you said it is Sodium Carbonate.
(Sodium Carbonate aka Soda Ash).
http://www.cichlidae.com/askpam/p001.html
Soda ash will dramatically raise your pH and will keep it there, however you must be careful with Soda Ash, it can literally burn you and your fish.
I don't really know what "burning you and your fish" means but it sounds scary.

Keep us informed how it works out for you. Also any tips and tricks that you discover along the way.

Thanks. I am only adding .5 tsp diluted in tank water and added to the sump. I will watch for any adverse reaction as I hope to be able to move my Fish and corals back in this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom