Using CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swampman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi: I am thinking about using CO2 in my tanks. I watched many videos and I'm ready. The question I have is should I use an air stone with the CO2? Also can I hook up two tanks of of one regulator? I'm thinking The CO2 coming out of the bubble counter. Using a Y connector splitting the air to two same size tanks. The are right next to each other. I am thinking about a Milwaukee regulator. Is that a good one? What other ones are good. Thanks

From my little research into the subject, using an air stone with the co2 is going to counteract each other.

The air stone will gas off the co2 before the plants can utilize it. I think it’s wise to leave surface agitation to the co2 diffuser and your filtration

As far as splitting it and running 2 tanks on one regulator. I can see that working fine but the system would have to be balanced correctly (diffusers at the same depth/water pressure) or you will have more co2 going to one tank than the other

The air stone will gas off the co2 before the plants can utilize it. I think it’s wise to leave surface agitation to the co2 diffuser and your filtration

+1 on this.

Surface agitation promotes gas exchange at the surface. So running an airstone while injecting CO2 will promote the loss of CO2 to the atmosphere which is counter productive. Also while running CO2 with suitable lights and fertiliser your plants will be producing more than sufficient O2 without needing to resort to gas exchange at the surface.

Its typical to run CO2 only while the lights are on and turn it off when the lights go out to conserve CO2 as it has no benefit in the dark. While the CO2 and lights are off, you can then run your airstone to oxygenate the water.

I thought of that. One getting more than the other. But if a bubble at 5d/1sec and throttle the valves closeily I believe I'll be ok, I hope.

I’d suggest splitting the line at the regulator and using 2 bubble counters to be sure you’ve got a fairly even distribution between both tanks. Cheap and easy enough to do, and at least you’ll know what you’re dosing each tank rather than finding out when it’s too late that one tank has been getting blasted with co2!

A regulator and the tank itself is expensive I didn't want to buy two. Bubler and distributor is inexpensive. Good information. tanks

The tank isn’t actually all that bad depending which route you go. I’ve been contemplating using co2 in my planted tank just because I’ve already got a 33kg tank that I use for other things. It’s only $75/yr gas and tank rental included. I think using it for co2 dosing would use only a negligible amount of co2 from the tank.

Buying the small canisters just for this purpose, from what I’ve seen is ridiculously expensive

Where did you find a$75 a year for rental and gas? Those little 6 inch canisters they sell at the pet shop are expensive. I looked into buying the set up at the pet shop. For $20 more I can get an excellent regulator with bubble count. Thanks for the tip

Any welding gas/supply store should be able to get it for you if they don’t already stock it

Around here that would be places like praxair/air liquide/linde/mercer

Back
Top Bottom