Using Crushed Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snickers

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 29 gal freshwater tank that has (1) 12" black knife ghost, (1) 5" rhino plec, and (1) very large angel fish. I want to change out my current substrate which is the natural colored gravel to white crushed coral. Is this going to be a bad thing for my fish? I have a small 10 gal tank that I've already changed over that has a 2" rhino plec and a couple of smaller glass fish....they seem to be doing fine. :)

I would like to upgrade to a 55 gal eventually. From what I've researched, the BGK should be at the max growth. I've had him for a couple of years. My angel is probably 2 1/2" - 3" in diameter. I have him for 4 years. The rhino I've had for 2 years, so I know I need a bigger tank. Why would you not use crushed coral?

max growth is 20-24 inch. the problem is most people keep them in too small of tanks which stunt them so they cant reach their true size. then they think thats their max size. think goldfish in a bowl. crushed coral raises the ph. any time you start messing with the ph with out complete understanding to me isnt a good idea. angels get 4-5 inch with out counting the tail.

Back
Top Bottom