Using crushed coral to stablilize ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miyavp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I know many people suggest using crushed coral to stabilize ph levels. Would crushed oyster shells work as well? I read some were these work well. Has anybody had any expiriance using them? Also is a 6.8-7.0 ph okay for my ryukins? If its safe I'd rather just keep it stable instead of messing with it. One of my ryukins has gill curl so the stress could make it worse.

Both crushed coral and oyster shells are made of the same substance, calcium carbonate. They both will give you a high ph (8.0+). If you collect the Oyster Shell yourself, make sure you have washed any organic matter away before using them.

julielover said:
Both crushed coral and oyster shells are made of the same substance, calcium carbonate. They both will give you a high ph (8.0+). If you collect the Oyster Shell yourself, make sure you have washed any organic matter away before using them.

8.0? Thats pretty high. If I use lesss will the ph be lower?

I would get a knee hi womans nylon and put a small amount of either in it (how much depends on the size of your tank) and either hide it in the tank itself or in your filter is you have room. The reason I suggest starting out with a small amount is you need to wait and monitor your water for a couple weeks or so and see how much the ph has risen. You can always add more to achieve the ph you want. But personally a ph of 6.8 to 7.0 is fine as long as you do 50% WC's weekly to keep adding minerals from the tap water back into the tank. Plus large weekly WC's are good for keeping up water quality in goldie tanks. I have 8 6+inch fancies divided into 2 tanks and the large weekly water changes keeps the ph stable and the water quality good.

6.8 to 7.0 is considered ideal, but honestly, ph parameters aren't too stringent so long as it's stable. Natural buffers for higher ph- crushed shells, corals, live rocks (dried out) dead pieces of coral, dolomite chips, aragonite sand (not live). For Lower ph- driftwood, lava rocks, live plants/ fertilizers, fertilizing gravel substrates... Hope that helps

Rivercats said:
I would get a knee hi womans nylon and put a small amount of either in it (how much depends on the size of your tank) and either hide it in the tank itself or in your filter is you have room. The reason I suggest starting out with a small amount is you need to wait and monitor your water for a couple weeks or so and see how much the ph has risen. You can always add more to achieve the ph you want. But personally a ph of 6.8 to 7.0 is fine as long as you do 50% WC's weekly to keep adding minerals from the tap water back into the tank. Plus large weekly WC's are good for keeping up water quality in goldie tanks. I have 8 6+inch fancies divided into 2 tanks and the large weekly water changes keeps the ph stable and the water quality good.

Alright. My issue is my tap water has nitrates of 35ppms and the water from my friends house I'm doing water changes with I dont think has any kh because I had a ph crash recently. I just want to find a good way to keep it stable. I do a 10gal water change a week. Its a 37gal tank.

Then I would definitely try to crushed coral in the nylon. Just add alittle at a time until your ph raised to say 7.0-7.4 and stablizes there even with WC's. The thing with goldies is they produce alot of ammonia and their tanks ph tends to drop so keep the crushed coral in there would be a good idea.

Alright :) I live right by one of the biggest oyster farms on the west coast and I bet if I ask them they'll give me some free :) Should I boil the shells before putting them in my tank?

I can't say for sure but I'd want to sanatize it before using. Another thing is I think you should crush them up some to allow more calcium release in the water.

Rivercats said:
I can't say for sure but I'd want to sanatize it before using. Another thing is I think you should crush them up some to allow more calcium release in the water.

Alright :)

Back
Top Bottom