Using distilled water instead of tap water for water changes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camogirl28

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have high nitrates in my tap water. I was wondering if using distilled water instead if tap water is a option. If so how would I do it? Any info on the subject would be great. My only other options are a RO system, or using nitrate removing media filter in a separate tub. I think this might be simpler.

Distilled is in the same boat as ro water. You would use it the same way. You can get ro water from grocery store dispensers at a cheaper price though. A cheap ro unit will cost about $100

Tap Water Use

I have high nitrates in my tap water. I was wondering if using distilled water instead if tap water is a option. If so how would I do it? Any info on the subject would be great. My only other options are a RO system, or using nitrate removing media filter in a separate tub. I think this might be simpler.

Hello Cam...

Distilled water has most of the minerals removed, so it isn't sufficient to support a healthy water chemistry. Most aquarium fish will do fine in most public tap water supplies. They just require a stable water chemistry, not a particular chemistry. They've been doing this job since the water keeping hobby started.

Nitrate removing media is readily available. Acurel has a good product. I've used it for a long time with good results.

Just a thought, you're the head water keeper.

B

Back
Top Bottom