using flourish excel against algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use it to control black beard algae. It doesn't work as well for other types. I got a clean spray bottle, fill it with Excel, or API has an equivalent called CO2 Booster, then lightly spray where the algae is when I have a low water level during a routine water change. Make sure when you do it that you have something moving water, I use airstones. Then fill the tank up and watch the BBA start turning red. That makes it easier to pluck off.

One of my tanks was so badly taken over by BBA that you couldn't see the driftwood. After doing this for 3 weeks (once a week), you'd never know.

Water changes are the best thing for that. Also not running your lights for as long. If your tank is where direct sunlight can hit it, that can also be a factor.

When I had green water problems I did a water change, 50%, turned off the lights, covered the tank with a sheet and left it like that for a few days. Then did another water change.

Here's some links to help you out.

Algae control in the aquarium

Freshwater Algae Types: An Illustrated Guide - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

Since July 20th, I have been dosing my two tanks with 5 ml per 10 gallons daily along with using the PPS Pro dosing regime for ferts and have seen a marked improvement in my algae although I still have some but not out of control. I have shrimp and Nerite snails and all fish and inverts are doing well. One note, my plants also need the carbon for growth so dosing Excel has a dual purpose.

i have performed 3 50-60% water changes over the past 3 days and am keepeing my room dark but not full blackout, im hoping this will work

Back
Top Bottom