Using Flourish Excel to get rid of BBA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alefaz14

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have a bad case of BBA in my planted aquarium, and apparently using Flourish Excel to boost the co2 amount will kill it over time. I'm wondering how much dosing I should do and how often (eg. like double dosing for a week). If anybody has any ideas please tell me.

I followed the directions on the bottle, and it worked somewhat at killing some of my BBA. I can't remember if it was okay to overdose or not though.

You could also use it as a spot treatment and shoot some directly on the algae to kill it instantly. You could use Hydrogen peroxide to spot treat as well.

So I have a bad case of BBA in my planted aquarium, and apparently using Flourish Excel to boost the co2 amount will kill it over time. I'm wondering how much dosing I should do and how often (eg. like double dosing for a week). If anybody has any ideas please tell me.

I would dose the recommended amount, unless your tank is heavily planted or the plants are "needy". I dose a little bit over the recommend amount for my tank and it got rid of all the BBA in my tank over time.

Excel is very safe. I use 40ml of it daily in my 40b with no ill effects. I would say to use 1ml / g of hydrogen peroxide instead though. Turn the lights and filters off, squirt the hydrogen peroxide on problem areas, and then leave lights and filters off for 15 minutes.

Excel is very safe. I use 40ml of it daily in my 40b with no ill effects. I would say to use 1ml / g of hydrogen peroxide instead though. Turn the lights and filters off, squirt the hydrogen peroxide on problem areas, and then leave lights and filters off for 15 minutes.

Will the hydrogen peroxide harm the plants?

I've heard of it hurting some vals but I can't confirm whether its true or not. Other than that I've never seen nor heard of problems with it.

I've used it on my Vals a bunch of times when I had BBA and nothing bad happened at all. I heard that hydrogen peroxide and excel and do damage to them, but I've found that to not be true even at higher doses, IME.

I've used it on my Vals a bunch of times when I had BBA and nothing bad happened at all. I heard that hydrogen peroxide and excel and do damage to them, but I've found that to not be true even at higher doses, IME.

I had some Vals once and had a huge issue with BBA at the same time. Once I started treating with hydrogen peroxide they all died off. I won't suggest that the hydrogen peroxide did it because I'd say there's a 90% chance that my inexperience with plants killed them and it was just a coincidence.

Back
Top Bottom