Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-07-2014, 11:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 69
Using Flourish Excel to get rid of BBA

So I have a bad case of BBA in my planted aquarium, and apparently using Flourish Excel to boost the co2 amount will kill it over time. I'm wondering how much dosing I should do and how often (eg. like double dosing for a week). If anybody has any ideas please tell me.
__________________

__________________
Alefaz14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
George9's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,765
Send a message via Yahoo to George9
I followed the directions on the bottle, and it worked somewhat at killing some of my BBA. I can't remember if it was okay to overdose or not though.

You could also use it as a spot treatment and shoot some directly on the algae to kill it instantly. You could use Hydrogen peroxide to spot treat as well.
__________________

__________________
-George
George9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
fishenthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alefaz14 View Post
So I have a bad case of BBA in my planted aquarium, and apparently using Flourish Excel to boost the co2 amount will kill it over time. I'm wondering how much dosing I should do and how often (eg. like double dosing for a week). If anybody has any ideas please tell me.

I would dose the recommended amount, unless your tank is heavily planted or the plants are "needy". I dose a little bit over the recommend amount for my tank and it got rid of all the BBA in my tank over time.
__________________
fishenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,614
Excel is very safe. I use 40ml of it daily in my 40b with no ill effects. I would say to use 1ml / g of hydrogen peroxide instead though. Turn the lights and filters off, squirt the hydrogen peroxide on problem areas, and then leave lights and filters off for 15 minutes.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Excel is very safe. I use 40ml of it daily in my 40b with no ill effects. I would say to use 1ml / g of hydrogen peroxide instead though. Turn the lights and filters off, squirt the hydrogen peroxide on problem areas, and then leave lights and filters off for 15 minutes.
Will the hydrogen peroxide harm the plants?
__________________
Alefaz14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alefaz14 View Post

Will the hydrogen peroxide harm the plants?
I've heard of it hurting some vals but I can't confirm whether its true or not. Other than that I've never seen nor heard of problems with it.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
George9's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,765
Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I've heard of it hurting some vals but I can't confirm whether its true or not. Other than that I've never seen nor heard of problems with it.

I've used it on my Vals a bunch of times when I had BBA and nothing bad happened at all. I heard that hydrogen peroxide and excel and do damage to them, but I've found that to not be true even at higher doses, IME.
__________________
-George
George9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by George9 View Post
I've used it on my Vals a bunch of times when I had BBA and nothing bad happened at all. I heard that hydrogen peroxide and excel and do damage to them, but I've found that to not be true even at higher doses, IME.
I had some Vals once and had a huge issue with BBA at the same time. Once I started treating with hydrogen peroxide they all died off. I won't suggest that the hydrogen peroxide did it because I'd say there's a 90% chance that my inexperience with plants killed them and it was just a coincidence.
__________________

__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bba, excel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flourish Excel not killing BBA plantedtankman Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 22 09-02-2013 12:50 AM
Seachem Flourish or Seachem Flourish Excel? Basefrog Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 3 01-09-2012 11:03 PM
Thoughts on using Flourish and Flourish Excel during fishless cycle? Mog Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 2 04-18-2011 11:05 AM
Flourish vs Flourish Excel zach_1_6 Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 3 03-23-2011 04:24 PM
Flourish vs Flourish excel? countryfan05 Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 8 02-14-2006 12:05 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.