Using hydrogen peroxide on algae Q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I need to get rid of some BBA and GHA. I think I have figured out why I have it (not enough ferts - GLA dry pack on order!) so hopefully I'll soon be dealing with the cause but plan to use hydrogen peroxide to remove what's there. I have quite a bit so will need to do more than one session of spot treatment. Can I do it daily? If so how is there a limit to how many days I can do it without needing to do a PWC? Or is it basically gone after 24 hours? Not sure if it builds up or not.

Hydrogen peroxide breaks down very very quickly when exposed to light and it breaks down into water and oxygen.

Just spot treat each specific area each day moving on down the line.

Hydrogen peroxide breaks down very very quickly when exposed to light and it breaks down into water and oxygen.

Just spot treat each specific area each day moving on down the line.

Thanks. And by the way I think you were right that lack of ferts is my algae cause! Researched and found an article explaining why and I think that's it because its the poor health leaves that got it first. Gla dry pack on order....,

Thanks. And by the way I think you were right that lack of ferts is my algae cause! Researched and found an article explaining why and I think that's it because its the poor health leaves that got it first. Gla dry pack on order....,

Nice! (y)(y)

You'll have to let us know how it goes.

Is this treatment supposed to work on the algae first time you do it? I did it two days ago....no change. Switched off the filter 20 mins before. Squirted it directly onto the BBA and GHA. Left off for 30 mins. Two days later no change. I just did it again today. Is it normal to get no effect first time? Do you typically have to do it several times?

Is this treatment supposed to work on the algae first time you do it? I did it two days ago....no change. Switched off the filter 20 mins before. Squirted it directly onto the BBA and GHA. Left off for 30 mins. Two days later no change. I just did it again today. Is it normal to get no effect first time? Do you typically have to do it several times?

I've had it react (turn pink) after the first dose and other times it took a few tries.

Excel works good for BBA, reacts within 12hours. I ve had a bad outbreak once. I spot treated using 6 to 7 ml in my 29g every other day until all the BBA turned to a rust color

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I get the same results whether the lights are on or not. The algae turns pink in around 24hrs, and it's typically gone inside of a week.

Siamese algae eaters. Not only will they clean up your tank now, they will destroy any new growth down the road. Keeping your tank super clean.

4-5 days with my 7 in my 75g and any algae I had which wasn't much was gone in like the second night. I had done a heavy trim on dwarf sag carpet and the plant didn't like it. All the cut tops began growing tuffs of bba. Never spread beyond the tops but still unsightly. The SAE's crushed that stuff over night on their second day in the tank!

Side note: don't hack dwarf sag like I did. Best to cut out whole leaves and avoid cutting tops.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've tried spot treating excel - did nothing. I've now done hydrogen peroxide twice and it's still looking exactly the same! I will try again and will turn the light off right after but I need to have it on in order to see what I'm doing.

I will see if my local LFS has SAE.

I've tried spot treating excel - did nothing. I've now done hydrogen peroxide twice and it's still looking exactly the same! I will try again and will turn the light off right after but I need to have it on in order to see what I'm doing.

I will see if my local LFS has SAE.

Finding SAE locally is unlikely. Double dosing excel works over time. A member on a local forum eliminated his BBA with this method. Took about a week or so I believe.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't buy a fish for the purpose of eating algae unless you also really like and want that fish in your aquarium.
Better, though often more difficult, to find out WHY you have the algae and take the appropriate steps to prevent it. I've been in an on again-off again war with BBA in my high tech planted for the past several months. :(

Your tank though, so your call.

bba and other algae is not really a problem if your fish feed from it ;)

and yes I agree that getting a pet for the sole purpose of eating algae yet you dislike the fish then its probably not something you want in your tank.

In my case I love these guys, I just was never able to find TRUE SAE's for a while but I finally did and I am happier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't buy a fish for the purpose of eating algae unless you also really like and want that fish in your aquarium.
Better, though often more difficult, to find out WHY you have the algae and take the appropriate steps to prevent it. I've been in an on again-off again war with BBA in my high tech planted for the past several months. :(

Your tank though, so your call.

Totally agree though I think the SAEs look cool. Only problem is they do get big so not sure I would want more than 1 or 2.

Re the algae - again I agree! I am trying to find the cause but just looking to remove what's there while I make changes. I believe it's lack of ferts. Dry ferts on order and arrive Friday. PPS Pro here I come!!

bba and other algae is not really a problem if your fish feed from it ;)

and yes I agree that getting a pet for the sole purpose of eating algae yet you dislike the fish then its probably not something you want in your tank.

In my case I love these guys, I just was never able to find TRUE SAE's for a while but I finally did and I am happier.

Where did you buy your SAE's? I see liveaquaria has them but the shipping is too much for me. I see they get up to 6" and I only have a 60g so not sure I would want more than 1 or 2.

A local garden / fish shop. I was very lucky to have found them. Make sure you know the ins and outs of how to ID these fish properly before going to buy them. A lot of fakes.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Need advice please! My hair algae is apparently more stubborn than my 5 year old....

Quick recap: hair algae problem. I think BBA and GHA. Cause: I believe it's a lack of ferts issue. Dry ferts on order which arrive Friday. Will be PPS Pro dosing.

Meanwhile I need to get rid of my current hair algae. So far I have:

- Spot treated with excel (several times) which did nothing.

- Twice I spot treated with hydrogen peroxide. Turned filters off for a few mins ahead of time. Spot treated. Left filter off 30 mins. Light was ON. Result: did nothing.

- So yesterday I spot treated again but this time right after I did it I turned the lights off and left them off ALL DAY.

Today 24 hours later I see that the hair algae has gone red in one area but everywhere else it's still there just the same!!

Ugk. So I've now put H202 in my tank 3 times in one week. Don't really feel I should do it again?

My plan: keep the lights down to 4 hours a day for the rest of the week. Ferts arrive Friday. Do another spot session (with lights off after) next week.

Does that sound like the best plan? Any other suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom