Using Oolite Aragonite Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc102

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

So, I am setting up my new 75 gallon tank. I spent all day yesterday washing the sand and filling the aquarium. I finally got the cloudiness to go away. Now I am just waiting on it to cycle. I added in a bag of Biomax out of an already cycled tank, so I was hoping to put my Sailfin Pleco in the tank soon.

I didn't notice until today that I purchased Marine Aquarium Oolite Aragonite Sand, which apparently buffers pH (according to the label on the bag). I did some reading and found that some Cichlids would do okay with this sand because they can tolerate a higher pH. I want to make this a Cichlid tank, but I'm not sure if the sand will be okay for my Pleco or my Cichlids. I haven't decided on the type of Cichlids that I want, but I've been looking at either Angelfish or African Cichlids.

What are your thoughts?

For African you will be fine they like hard water SA cichlids like Angels really prefer softer water and might not do well. That said I have successfully kept angels in my liquid rock for the last 5 years.

For African you will be fine they like hard water SA cichlids like Angels really prefer softer water and might not do well. That said I have successfully kept angels in my liquid rock for the last 5 years.

That's good to hear! I will try drip acclimating my pleco before adding him to the tank.

Update: I forgot to update this thread, but I successfully added my pleco and he's been happy ever since! Now I want to switch to a different substrate because I've changed my mind on getting african cichlids. Should I slowly replace the oolite sand with the new substrate? I'm worried that if I remove all of it at once, the pH will fall quickly.

Back
Top Bottom