using ro/di for tannins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Due to the nature of ro/di water wouldn't it be a lot quicker to use that to get tannins out of wood? Has anyone ever tried it?

You mean using the tannin-stained water as the water supply for the system? The RO/DI should take out the coloration, but once you put it back in the tank it will just get tannin-stained again. If you're just talking about using RO/DI water during water changes instead of tap, I don't believe that would really have much of an effect. The most effective way to get tannins out IME is putting carbon in your filter, and boiling/soaking the wood as long as possible before adding it to the tank.

What I meant was soaking the wood in the ro/di water to pull out the tannins faster. Since that water tries to absorb everything it touches, it stands to reason that the tannins would be pulled from the wood faster.

I don't think it would make a very big difference in the long run. Or rather, I can't think of it reason why it would.

Back
Top Bottom