Using sand as substrate - copper slag??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbrown

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am setting up a 50 gal tank and wanted to use a dark coloured sand instead of gravel. I have a tank done with pool filter sand and am very pleased with the result. However, my rainbowfish will look much more stunning with a dark coloured substrate. I contacted a local (Alberta) sandblasting company. They have a black sand for sale which they indicated was actually copper slag. Need some advice on whether this is suitable for a freshwater tank. Will this alter the water chemistry at all? Is it appropriate? Any comments and/or advice appreciated.

Copper and copper slag are not suitable as a substrate, or in any part of the tank. I have read that copper over time can harm the nervous system (brain and spinal cord) of the fish.

Copper can definitely harm inverts, like ghost shrimp and snails.

When I was a newbie, I used to put a few drops of a copper-based fish medicine in the tank at water-change time to guard against parasites. I no longer do that since I have read that that practice can harm the fish. "Over time" is vague - but I felt it wasn't worth the risk. I bet that if you put that much copper in your tank, the fish will be very lethargic.

All copper-based treatment, if you need to do it for a heavy parasite infestation, for example, is best done in a QT tank so that no copper at all ever enters the display tank.

On the saltwater side, tanks that have ever had a copper-based med in them are probably not suitable for corals. I am just mentioning that to let you know the potential for copper toxicity.

Have you looked at some black tahitian moon sand for your rainbow tank? This sand is common in aquaria and readily available.

i used onyx substrate sand, it is very dark... you might look into that, although it is a bit pricey. it is formulated for planted aquariums, so if you are going down that route, i would suggest it.

I've seen black and dark grey sand for fw aquariums at my LFS. No need to look to far for it, it should be right infront of you. :p

Back
Top Bottom