Using "used" sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I broke down one of my tanks that had a sand substrate. I find when I vacuum the sand in my current tank a bit of sand always comes out. At some point I will need to replenish the sand. Can I use the sand from the broken down tank in the tank I am still using? It has been about 2 weeks and the "used" sand is still damp in the old tank. I am worried about contamination or bacteria in the old sand. Is it worth the risk to use old sand, or is it not that risky?

Do you use a water changer or a siphon and buckets? If you use a siphon and buckets, after taking out the old water, slowly dump it so the sand does not get dumped, then fill the bucket with sand in it and after dumping the water back in use your fingers to sweep the sand into your tank.
If you are using a water changer, if your sink is big enough you can put a bucket under the water changer output to catch the sand as it falls.

I broke down one of my tanks that had a sand substrate. I find when I vacuum the sand in my current tank a bit of sand always comes out. At some point I will need to replenish the sand. Can I use the sand from the broken down tank in the tank I am still using? It has been about 2 weeks and the "used" sand is still damp in the old tank. I am worried about contamination or bacteria in the old sand. Is it worth the risk to use old sand, or is it not that risky?

Sure you can. Though I would give the portion a good rinse first to remove any gunk that may be in it.

Here is an idea,I have not tried this but I've thought about it. Is it possible to 'sterilize' it by heating it in the oven on a new cookie sheet? Then letting it cool down, rinse it like normal then add it. Yes it will kill the bb but it will kill any 'nasties' that might be in the sand.

I guess that is one solution. How about a mild bleach wash, a thorough rinse with dechlor and then set out in the sun for a couple of hours to neutralize any remaining bleach?

I guess that is one solution. How about a mild bleach wash, a thorough rinse with dechlor and then set out in the sun for a couple of hours to neutralize any remaining bleach?

IMO, I stay away from bleach period! No matter how watered down it is. Vinegar,hot water,a razor blade and elbow grease are my 'go to' for cleaning anything aquarium related.

IMO, I stay away from bleach period! No matter how watered down it is. Vinegar,hot water,a razor blade and elbow grease are my 'go to' for cleaning anything aquarium related.

In the tank yes, but for sterilization it has no equal. It is nothing that can't be neutralized by a dechlor overdose and a bake in the sunshine. Sunlight breaks down chlorine quickly.

Um...I am in Michigan. Not too much bakin' in the sun going on right now.

I have plenty of sand for now since only a little comes out each WC. It will be warmer in few weeks and maybe I will work on this project then.

I'm in Michigan, too. We saw the sun briefly once last week. :)
Some bacteria form endospores, which are resistant to heat, but also sunlight, bleach and radiation. Mycobacterium marinum (fish tb) can do this.
But if you had no sign of illness in your tank you broke down you should be fine.

I used old livesand from a saltwater setup for my current mbuna tank. That was also mixed with old play sand from a previous mbuna set up. I just rinsed well in hose water in the back yard until it didn't smell like the sea anymore and all is well.

Rinsing will have to wait until spring, too. Unless I want to do it in the bath tub. My need for sand is not so great at the moment that I need to rinse sand in the tub.

Yea I used old sand from a salt setup as well. It's in my 125 Malawi and I have had no issues. I just rinsed really well in 5 gal buckets. Been in the tank since sept.

Here is an idea,I have not tried this but I've thought about it. Is it possible to 'sterilize' it by heating it in the oven on a new cookie sheet? Then letting it cool down, rinse it like normal then add it. Yes it will kill the bb but it will kill any 'nasties' that might be in the sand.

Keep in mind that neither of these methods are going to destroy the organic nutrients which will then be retained in the sand and introduced to the system when the sand is added, if it isn't rinsed well. Possibly resulting in algae issues.

Back
Top Bottom