USO - Unidentified Swimming Object - Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rak9378

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I was doing a water change and while vacuuming the gravel I noticed something get sucked up that sort of looked like a brine shrimp. Only it appeared to be swimming and I haven't fed my fish brine shrimp in nearly a week. So I checked the bucket and sure enough I found this little bug like critter swimming at the bottom. Picture of it is below. Sorry about the quality but this thing is tiny. Any ideas what this is? I'm not sure what info would be helpful so please ask whatever you deem necessary. I will say that my water parameters were perfect before the water change. All my fish appear to be fine and I haven't added any new fish recently. Thanks for looking!

Ok that's a new one for me. So I just did a quick a Google search. I did get some plants recently so that could be how it got in the tank. From what I read they are harmless and could actually be beneficial (clean up) or just end up as fish food. But I also read they can eat plants and multiply quickly. So I'm thinking if it is a scud I don't need to do anything at this point but I should keep an eye out for an infestation. Sound right?

Thanks!

I agree with the scud ID.

I've never heard of a scud population causing problems in a tank that had fish in it, as opposed to a shrimp tank where they have no predators and therefore can grow to sizeable population (although they still probably won't cause problems). With fish, they'll stay at a manageable (and delicious) population.

Lol at my city's wakeboard park if you bailed, when you get to shore you were covered with these tiny crayfish looking guys, I'm pretty sure they said they out a chemical in to kill them all

Back
Top Bottom