UV inhibitor question for everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lippy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I build pond as well as keep Cichlids. I always have different pond equipment laying arond, leftovers. I have a small UV inhibitor left over from a projec and was thinking about using it on one of my 75 gallon show tanks that gets a lot of sunlight. The tank never gets green or really has a problem because I tend to go overboard on filtering my tanks.

On this tank I am running 2 canister 1000 filters. when the lights are on their off cycle you can see that it has a brownish tint to it. I was thinking of adding this UV inhibitor to it, and its rated for ponds ut to 900 gallons, and recommended to be brun un a minimum flow rate of 300 GPH.

My pump meets that requirement, but I was wondering if It would be an unhealthy overkill problem for my fish?

Thr tank
img_2708406_0_6b2814141a7ebfc366c74beef6c1b5de.jpg

The inhibitor
img_2708406_1_61e12f02ae18de072b405a7f019470ab.jpg

With just 9 watts it should be just fine and you wouldn't have to have it pump at the same large GPM as you do for a pond. I have a 9w Coralife UV installed inline to my Fluval 306 canister outflow. I've run it at the filter's full flow to only 1/3rd flow with no overheating problems. OS.

Thanks for the input. I was thinking of putting it on a 12hr on 12hr off cycle at first to monitor it, thoughts?

If you have a brown tinge to the water a UV won't clear that up. Usually tea colored water means something in the tank is leaching tannins but I don't see any DW in the tank. Do you know if you have iron in your tap water? If you want to remove the color in the tank then using carbon or Purgen in the filter will remove color in tank water.

As for the UV it will be fine to use but personally I'd run it 24/7. I have one on my 220g tank that I run 24/7 but many people run their UV's only at night, or only on weekends to save on the bulb hours. It's really a personal choice unlike some on here that will rant that you have to use it 24/7. It can help with water clarity but again it won't remove color in your water unless your having a green water algae bloom which I'm sure you know about if you do ponds.

Added 2 fresh bags of carbon and the inhibitor. We shall see what happens.

img_2710453_0_cdb4ad18bee8f71e43116ef846489085.jpg

Back
Top Bottom