Uv lamp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Umm, kind of can't really see a need in a fish tank (assuming this is fish). Even in a planted tank I've never worried much about it. Will google this weekend! Did they say why it would be good for the tank?

Umm, kind of can't really see a need in a fish tank (assuming this is fish). Even in a planted tank I've never worried much about it. Will google this weekend! Did they say why it would be good for the tank?

Says it will kill microorganisms that's floating in tank

Interested in seeing what is available for an 'open ' UV light . In tanks 99% of users use UV in a sealed unit and pass water through it.I am not sure I am even aware of a UV light for tank top?
The difference between "sterilization" and "treatment" is how long the water is exposed to the light [flow rate] and then the size of unit [watts]...
Done properly a tank will be crystal clear with a basic unit on treatment level.
I don't use UV anymore as water changes really work at removing things in the water column..

I've seen them for hydroponics setup. I was looking at getting one that went into the uv range for a planted tank a few years back. Had some concern on it - can't remember what.

For the OP, have you got a link? All the uv units I've used have been sealed units as CB mentions. I don't think I've seen anything as open light like that.

I've found they will clear the water a little bit and certainly get rid of green water algae, won't stop ich or bacterial infections (not the ones I used anyways - need to be very good units to do that). I don't bother with it anymore, wasn't worth buying replacement bulbs.

Last edited:
I've seen them for hydroponics setup. I was looking at getting one that went into the uv range for a planted tank a few years back. Had some concern on it - can't remember what.

For the OP, have you got a link? All the uv units I've used have been sealed units as CB mentions. I don't think I've seen anything as open light like that.

I've found they will clear the water a little bit and certainly get rid of green water algae, won't stop ich or bacterial infections (not the ones I used anyways - need to be very good units to do that). I don't bother with it anymore, wasn't worth buying replacement bulbs.

Have seen them on eBay they are some just like a heater just use suckers to stick to tank says to use them for so long depending on tank size just wasn't sure if it had any positive effects

The one I looked up noted it should go in filter area and do not direct uv radiation on people or fish. I think that's why I decided to skip.

Also the sealed units are all designed to have a certain (low) water flow to maximise irradiation time.

So I'm skeptical they will work (these seem to be items that you get what you pay for) and if it does work, might not be safe for fish.

Found a link I had. Bit of waffle in places but does cover uv sterilisation factors further down and my point here is that there actually seems a bit of design science is needed for these.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html#uvfacts

Back
Top Bottom